This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem with phonon VLC

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fonsocm
Registered Member

Problem with phonon VLC

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:59 pm
Hi.

I don't know if this was informed. I looked in the forum and I didn't see a similar problem. I am using KDE Framework 5.2 on OpenSuSE 13.1.

When I select vlc backend phonon in plasma 5 the applications crash when they make a sound system. By example, in konsole (for plasma 5) when I press tab key two times without write nothing, konsole crash. The same happens with dolphin and yakuake.

I tried to deactivate sound settings in system settings -> notifications in Plasma 5 and KDE 4. But the applications ignore the setting.

I don't have this problem if I select like backend gstreamer. But then, don't work some music applications: cantata, deadbeef and spotify, they work without problem in KDE 4 and in Plasma 5 using VLC backend.

Other thing I observed but those are aesthetics:

- The GTK applications don't use theme fixed in system settings for gtk apps.

- I don't know if this a problem with OpenSuSE but in breeze style, the buttons looks big compared to Oxygen or Qtcurve. Is the size correct or is there a problem with this theme and OpenSuSE.

Also, some applications (okular, kwrite) don't start from dolphin or give an error. However, if I start the application from menu there is not problem.

Best regards.
einar
Administrator
OS

Re: Problem with phonon VLC

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:33 pm
At least in openSUSE I would not recommend using the phonon-vlc backend for now, it's been so far quite unreliable. You can get multimedia in openSUSE by installing the "pullin-fluendo-mp3" plug-in or by using the Packman repository to install support for restricted multimedia formats.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
fonsocm
Registered Member

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am
My interest in VLC is not so much the multimedia, using packman you can get the same with gstreamer.

My problem with gstreamer doesn't free the device when it doesn't play sound. And it keep off cantata, I use it to play FLACs (gstreamer also can play FLACS but for them I prefer mpd).

Thanks.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:34 am
I presume this should be sent as a bug report for that phonon backend, I doubt the multimedia devs will see this in the Plasma5 section...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:35 pm
The phonon VLC issue is even mentioned in the Plasma 5.1 "Known Issues" list: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/5.1_Errata

Running a Qt 5 application using libvlc crashes that application, apparently because of outdated/non-existing VLC cache. See launchpad bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1328466

On openSUSE, VLC is split up into more than one packages, but only vlc-noX generates the plugin cache. At that point vlc-qt might not be installed yet, so the Qt4 plugin might be missing in the cache which causes libvlc to open it on startup causing a clash with Qt5 and crash.

Run this to fix it:
Code: Select all
sudo /usr/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib/vlc/plugins

or, on a 64bit system:
sudo /usr/lib64/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib64/vlc/plugins

I will do my best to get this fixed properly in openSUSE's VLC packages though.
fonsocm
Registered Member

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:16 am
wolfi323 wrote:The phonon VLC issue is even mentioned in the Plasma 5.1 "Known Issues" list: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/5.1_Errata

Running a Qt 5 application using libvlc crashes that application, apparently because of outdated/non-existing VLC cache. See launchpad bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1328466

On openSUSE, VLC is split up into more than one packages, but only vlc-noX generates the plugin cache. At that point vlc-qt might not be installed yet, so the Qt4 plugin might be missing in the cache which causes libvlc to open it on startup causing a clash with Qt5 and crash.

Run this to fix it:
sudo /usr/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib/vlc/plugins

or, on a 64bit system:
sudo /usr/lib64/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib64/vlc/plugins

I will do my best to get this fixed properly in openSUSE's VLC packages though.

Thanks for the info, I am using the fix, I saw it when I was to fill a bug.

My bad don't comment I found it.

Thanks.
stormrider
Registered Member

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:05 am
Sorry for the necro.

I just registered to say that wolfi323's suggestion solved my problem in KDE 5 in Arch Linux.

I would get Segmentation Fault 11 on /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4