This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kauth is not working anymore

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
arojas
Registered Member
OS

kauth is not working anymore

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm
I have a really strange issue with kauth. Since a few days ago, it doesn't work anymore (it gives the error "KAuth was compiled with a working backend, but was unable to load it! Check your installation!"). It worked a couple of weeks ago, and if I reinstall the (previously compiled) old version it still works. But if I recompile the same version, it doesn't.
Something must have changed on the system that produces a broken kauth when compiling. It's not the toolchain, since I tested with the same version that was used to compile the working kauth version. Any ideas of what could be causing this or how to debug it?
šumski
Registered Member
OS
check the passed CMake vars. in KF5 world code is *really* sensitive on some vars being absolute. IOW, one can't use absolute LIB_INSTALL_DIR, and at least some Frameworks rely on PLUGIN_PATH being relative. at least here on openSUSE, KAuth still works (with both 5.2.0 and master)
arojas
Registered Member
OS

Re: kauth is not working anymore

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:17 pm
Thank you! It looks like the problem is the -DKDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS=ON flag. Removing it and manually specifying -DQT_PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR=lib/qt/plugins fixes it. I guess this should be fixed in kauth?
šumski
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 pm
yes, but first e-c-m should expose something like e.g. CMAKE_INSTALL_FULL_QT_PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR. alternatively, it shouldn't rely at all on installed location.
i fear there are many more cases across Frameworks and Workspace...
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:39 pm
I'm impressed. I spent hours hunting this bug down and should have just checked the forum.

When it's built with DKDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS the PLUGIN_DIR is absolute, whereas otherwise it's relative.

so we end up with kauth looking in /usr/usr/share/...

https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120603/
einar
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:44 am
And to follow up, the review request was accepted, so this should be fixed in the next KAuth release.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
arojas
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:35 pm
šumski wrote:i fear there are many more cases across Frameworks and Workspace...

And you were right, kactivities is also affected by this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340900