This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Running ibus on Plasma 5 with kimpanel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
workoft
Registered Member
Hi,
I'm trying to get pinyin input with running on Plasma 5. I was using fcitx before but that does not seem to work with Qt5. Unfortunately, as of now, ibus doesn't work at all. I added the input method plasmoid to the panel. It's just blank, on right click I'm getting a menu that doesn't do anything. In particular, I want to use "Configure Input Method". Nothing happens when I click that.
Another problem is that the ibus-config binary doesn't exist.
I don't really know where to begin. My variables are all set.
Code: Select all
env | grep ibus
QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus

I'm using Gentoo Linux with KDE Frameworks 5.3, Plasma 5.1.0.1 and ibus 1.5.5
csslayer
Registered Member
OS
As for fcitx and qt5, you need to compile whatever package in gentoo provides https://github.com/fcitx/fcitx-qt5 .

As for kimpanel with ibus in plasma 5, the ibus backend support ibus 1.5 would arrive in Plasma 5.2. And you need to somehow either disable the gtkpanel.xml (remove from /usr/share/ibus/components ) or start it with "-p /path/to/ibus/backend" parameter.
workoft
Registered Member
So that means the ibus USE flag in kdeplasma-addons doesn't do anything? I kind of got it working with USE=deprecated. It's ugly because it doesn't use the oxygen theme, but it's usable.
csslayer
Registered Member
OS
workoft wrote:So that means the ibus USE flag in kdeplasma-addons doesn't do anything? I kind of got it working with USE=deprecated. It's ugly because it doesn't use the oxygen theme, but it's usable.

... :/ don't talk with something gentoo specific, I have no idea what that flag doing. It compiles with ibus 1.5 but cannot work with it (ibus 1.4->1.5 need a somewhat huge update to the backend since they move some function from its kernel to UI).

I guess you're not currently using kimpanel though.
workoft
Registered Member
Nevermind, it's working so far - I will try kimpanel again when 5.2 is out an then probably revive this thread. I tried ibus 1.4 with kimpanel, with no success either. In fact, kimpanel never really worked for me, not even on KDE4. Anyway, we'll see.
einar
Administrator
OS
I would suggest using fcitx if it supports your language of choice for input, as it's far better integrated into Plasma and KDE apps in general. (And it's also supported by kimpanel)

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python