This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kde in progress / Plasma_Frameworks 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:i have now plasma 5 working but no more kde4, which is ok for me ;)

If you installed the packages from my repo, you can have _both_ KDE4 and Plasma 5 (that's the whole reason why I created them in the first place).

Just install kdebase4-session again and you should be able to select KDE4 ("KDE Plasma Workspace") as well at the login screen.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
you're right it works well again, thanks :)

By the way : is there a way i can drag and drop my soft shortcuts in the pannel to the right side of it ? It seems they're stuck to the left part of the pannel.

manchette, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
last openSUSE version : Leap 42.1... / Last Kde Plasma version : 5.0.xxx ...
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:By the way : is there a way i can drag and drop my soft shortcuts in the pannel to the right side of it ? It seems they're stuck to the left part of the pannel.

You mean application launchers?

You can move them just like in KDE4: click on the toolbox icon at the right end of the panel, and then click on the launcher (or any widget for that matter) and drag it to where you want to have it.

If you mean the task bar's launchers (i.e. those that you create by right-clicking on a task bar entry and choosing "Show a launcher when not running") though, you can't, they are always on the left side of the task bar. Again, just like in KDE4.
Well, actually you can drag them around, but if you drop one you'll just create a new standard launcher, i.e. icon widget.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
yes i meant the task bar launchers, i'd like to drag them where i want, i.e to the right side of the bar.

Another thing i noticed : if i lock the screen i can't log in anymore, the password of the user does not work . I need to shut down the session using ctrl+alt + backspace twice to be able to login once again.

luebking
Can you post a screenshot of your screensaver settings?
manchette
Registered Member
OS
do you mean this ?

luebking
What if you require the password immediately (not after 5s)?
manchette
Registered Member
OS
It still fails.

Tromzy
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:yes i meant the task bar launchers, i'd like to drag them where i want, i.e to the right side of the bar.

Another thing i noticed : if i lock the screen i can't log in anymore, the password of the user does not work . I need to shut down the session using ctrl+alt + backspace twice to be able to login once again.

Could it be a matter og keyboard layout ? (Azerty / Qwerty)
eliasp
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:Another thing i noticed : if i lock the screen i can't log in anymore, the password of the user does not work . I need to shut down the session using ctrl+alt + backspace twice to be able to login once again.

It could be you're simply missing /etc/pam.d/kde.
See also bug#337470.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
hi,
i haven't got the 1st file (/etc/pam.d/kde) but the 2d ( /etc/pam.d/xdm) i have

applying comment 11 from the bug report works

manchette
Registered Member
OS
Hello ;)

I'm now using openSUSE 13.2 : What is provided as default ? KDE or plasma ? ( i upgraded from 13.1 using zypper dup)

I guess i shall reenable Qt5 and KF5 repositories :
Version: 13.2

Qt 5: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_13.2/
KDE Frameworks 5: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_13.2/

Is the repo below still needed as in openSUSE 13.1 (to be able to have KDE4 and plasma 5) ?
http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_13.2/

Thanks ;)

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:Hello ;)

I'm now using openSUSE 13.2 : What is provided as default ? KDE or plasma ? ( i upgraded from 13.1 using zypper dup)

KDE4's Plasma.

I guess i shall reenable Qt5 and KF5 repositories :
Version: 13.2

Qt 5: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_13.2/
KDE Frameworks 5: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_13.2/

If you only want Plasma 5, you do not need a separate repo. Plasma 5.1.0 is included in 13.2, an update to 5.1.1 will be released soon.
Just install the package plasma5-session that's in the standard repo.

Those two repos always contain the latest versions of Qt5 and KF5/Plasma5 respectively though.

Is the repo below still needed as in openSUSE 13.1 (to be able to have KDE4 and plasma 5) ?
http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... SUSE_13.2/

Yes. That will always be needed to have both.
If you add that repo, you have to add the other two as well (KDE:Frameworks5 at least), as the packages need the newer KF5.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
hi,

ok, so is the name kde 4 wrong now ? Should it be called plasma only ?

i installed 13.2 using "zypper dup" so it was a bit confusing : i had remoived all repos except oos, non oss and update ones : at 1st it asked me to keep obsolete some packages and i was not sure it could be ok at the end of the dup process. Then all went ok and at 1st boot i had kde4, and after adding Qt5 and KF5 repos and moving all packages of the system to these a reboot gave me plasma 5 (as in 13.1).
(I already had the plasma5-session package and also Qt5/KF5 packages + those of your repo installed so that i could use kde4 And Plasma5 in 13.1).

I was wondering if i could add your repository in 13.2 for 2 reasons :
i was not sure if it was still needed in 13.2 (now i see that it's available and ok to use it, but it's not mandatory ) ,
i was also wondering how long it would be maintained : what's you plan as to that ?

Thanks ;)

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:ok, so is the name kde 4 wrong now ? Should it be called plasma only ?

Actually, the name KDE 4 is wrong since 5 years already... ;)
See here: https://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand

KDE is the community, and the group of developers that create the software.
Plasma, the KDE Workspace, is one software developed by KDE, but not the only one.

It's still a wide-spread habit though to just call it "KDE 4".

i installed 13.2 using "zypper dup" so it was a bit confusing : i had remoived all repos except oos, non oss and update ones : at 1st it asked me to keep obsolete some packages and i was not sure it could be ok at the end of the dup process. Then all went ok and at 1st boot i had kde4, and after adding Qt5 and KF5 repos and moving all packages of the system to these a reboot gave me plasma 5 (as in 13.1).
(I already had the plasma5-session package and also Qt5/KF5 packages + those of your repo installed so that i could use kde4 And Plasma5 in 13.1).

As I said, 13.2 comes with Plasma 5 packages, but those conflict with kdebase4-workspace.

If you remove all but the standard repos, zypper dup wants to "upgrade" to that version of course, which causes a conflict. Choosing to keep the obsolete version is necessary in that case if you want to keep KDE4.

i was not sure if it was still needed in 13.2 (now i see that it's available and ok to use it, but it's not mandatory ) ,

Right, just as in 13.1 already.

The difference is, that in 13.2 you don't need an additional repo at all for installing Plasma 5, as it is included in the distribution (5.1.0, an update to 5.1.1 is underway), as mentioned.
But again, the standard packages will force you to remove kdebase4-workspace, i.e. the KDE 4 Desktop.
That's the whole reason why my repo even exists.

i was also wondering how long it would be maintained : what's you plan as to that ?

No idea. Until KDE4 gets dropped from the distribution, maybe? :D

The actual maintenance is done by openSUSE anyway, in KDE:Frameworks5. I branched my packages from there, changes there dripple down to my packages automatically.