This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wifi password forgotten when reboot

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
quickkk
Registered Member

Wifi password forgotten when reboot

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:19 am
Hi,

I'm trying out kubuntu 14.10 with plasma 5. I have frameworks version 5.3.0 installed. For some reason, the wifi password is always forgotten when the computer reboots. Any idea why this might be happening?
einar
Administrator
OS
Do you have kwallet5 / kwalletmanager5 installed?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
quickkk
Registered Member
Thank you einar for your suggestion. I don't think that I have either kwallet5 or kwalletmanager5 installed. From the command-line, sudo apt-get install tells me that I only have three possible packages named kwallet*. These are "kwalletcli, kwalletmanager, kwalletmanager-dbg." It seems that I already have kwalletmanager installed.

I remember a month or so ago when I tried to get plasma 5 working, upon first logging in, a message box asked me if I wanted to transition to kwallet 5. Unfortunately, that was the only thing that happened (black screen, nothing else apart from that message box and a cursor). This time around, I didn't get such a message, but everything else works (apart from the screen resolution being forgotten).
einar
Administrator
OS
You may want to enquire with your distribution on the exact name of the package you need. Without KWallet, IIRC plasma-nm won't save the passwords (unless you set the "All users may connect to this network" option, which will save it in NetworkManager's own storage).

quickkk
Registered Member
Thanks for the suggestion einar. The strangest thing is that this was an "upgrade" from a kubuntu 14.04 system, which had kwallet installed and working. I also wasn't aware of the "All users may connect to this network" option. I tried using this to avoid the kwallet hassle, but get the following error message popup when trying to edit the connection via the connection editor:
Code: Select all
"Failed to get secrets for <mynetwork>"
No agents were available for this request

I ignored this, but then can't change anything about the connection since the "OK" button at the bottom of the settings screen is greyed out.

Do you know which file I can edit to enable the "All user may connect..." option manually?

Thanks!
einar
Administrator
OS
You need to ensure you have the right polkit-agent installed. Can you run a search through your package manager and see what you have available?

quickkk
Registered Member
Thanks einar for all your help. In the end though I just couldn't get it to work so I wiped by laptop and went back to kde4. My wifi password is >20 random characters, so it was a huge pain to keep entering it all the time!
konsultor
Registered Member
einar wrote:... Without KWallet, IIRC plasma-nm won't save the passwords (unless you set the "All users may connect to this network" option, which will save it in NetworkManager's own storage).

Can't locate this option. Can you point out its location, please?