This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is it OK to upgrade to Plasma 5?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
babu98712
Registered Member
OS

Is it OK to upgrade to Plasma 5?

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:03 pm
I've been thinking about this, but I was thinking if it was OK to upgrade to Plasma 5, I know how to upgrade to it, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade, I'm using Kubuntu 14.10 with Plasma 4, if you want to know.
google01103
Manager
moved to Plasma 5 forum

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hans
Administrator
OS
What's "OK" will differ from user to user, so it's impossible to say if Plasma 5 is "OK" for a specific user or not. Some people use it and love it, others miss some features from Plasma 4.x or experience instabilities, etc. Personally I'm holding out a bit before jumping ship because my current environment works fine for me,and I don't have time for dealing with minor issues.

With that said, you could try it out in e.g. Virtualbox and see if you like it before you upgrade.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
einar
Administrator
OS
Bear in mind that using VirtualBox will likely trigger some VM-specific issues, due to part of the user interface's reliance on openGL.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
I'm running P5 on my notebook. Look and feel is outstanding. There are still has some issues but I can live with that. Really annoying and the reason why I wait to switch with my desktop is that owncloud is not working because of the missing SNI integration.
babu98712
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, I guess I'm going with VirtualBox, my PC is pretty important, and I do know it has some bugs, but I guess I'm trying it then.
Futhorc
Registered Member
5.1.1 integrates much better with dolphin 4 and the other QT4 apps, but I'd wait until 5.2.x if you want to be really safe.