This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icons missing on many applications in menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chabich
Registered Member
I have tried hard but cannot get to the base of the problem. After updating to Plasma 5 (Fedora) many icons are missing.

When I manually put them in via KDE-Menu-Editor > click on empty icon box > other icons > navigate to icon and select then the Icon shows up on the menu item in the start menu but the icon box in the KDE-Menu-Editor is still empty/blank. As a result, when I drag an item from the Startmenu to an empty panel the app-shortcut is there but no icon is displayed. Weirdly enough though, when I e.g. drag the app shortcut for anyhing with a system-icon over the icon shows.

Some parts of KDE/Plasma seem not to find the "other" icons.

Maybe somebody could help me out.
enoop
Registered Member
Try changing icon themes to something else then back to breeze, try deleting your icon cache, try a new user or removing kde files in .cache. I had this problem and tried the above (had another bug that required removing the files) and one of those fixed it.
chabich
Registered Member
enoop wrote:Try changing icon themes to something else then back to breeze, try deleting your icon cache, try a new user or removing kde files in .cache. I had this problem and tried the above (had another bug that required removing the files) and one of those fixed it.

I have tried all this already. Creating a new user show exactly the same problem. Changing the Icon-Theme changes some icons but leaves the rest blank again. It somehow seems that the system cannot find the icons correctly if they are not contained in a specific scheme directory.

The problem though is, that even when you put the complete path in the .desktop file of e.g.

[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
Comment=Access the Internet
Comment[en_US]=Access the Internet
Exec=google-chrome
GenericName=Web Browser
GenericName[en_US]=Web Browser
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/google-chrome.png
MimeType=text/html;application/xml;
Name=Google Chrome
Name[en_US]=Google Chrome
NoDisplay=false
Path[$e]=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=0
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
Version=1.0
X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=NewWindow;NewIncognito
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

[NewIncognito Shortcut Group]
Exec=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --incognito
Name=New Incognito Window
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[NewWindow Shortcut Group]
Exec=/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome
Name=New Window
TargetEnvironment=Unity

The icon button in the KDE Menu Editor is blank grey, whereas the Icon in the Start-Menu is there (but not usable/invisible when dragged into a panel!).#

This drives me completely nuts!!
chabich
Registered Member
Update:

When I copy/merge Icons from e.g. the "hicolor" icon folder into the oxygen folder (note: "Breeze" is the selected theme!) the icons re-appear and everything works as normal.

Somehow the KDE System doesn't "find" icons in other /usr/share/icons folders and only displays icons of the "oxygen" folder correctly. N.B. the only Icons that appear under "System Icons" in the KDE Menu-Editor are from the "oxygen" folder.

Is there any way to tell KDE/Plasma5 to include icons from ALL folders under /usr/share/icons?
einar
Administrator
OS
Which version of Plasma 5 are you using?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
chabich
Registered Member
einar wrote:Which version of Plasma 5 are you using?

Version 5.1.2 on Fedora 20 x86_64

Packages have been installed directly from the dvratil repository. Apart from a few tiny hitches (the rpm scripts messed up the path in tghree d-bus service config files) everything went silky smooth.
einar
Administrator
OS
You may want to enquire downstream if there are any packaging errors.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
Sanette
Registered Member
OS
Hi all

any update on this ?

I have the same problem, which occurred after upgrading to 15.04
Sanette
Registered Member
OS
I was able to partially solve the problem using the GTK apps settings:

1. in systemsettings -> icons
I select Breeze (I like this one, I don't want to go back to oxygen)

2. systemssettings -> application style -> graphic components -> icons
I select breeze

3. (this is the crucial step)
systemssettings -> application style -> gnome application style(GTK)
I select
Icon theme = Breeze
Fallback theme (IMPORTANT) = Oxygen

4. restart
bluej100
Registered Member
I can reproduce the problem, including the missing icons specified by full path. Changing the Gnome application fallback theme didn't fix it for me.

Interestingly, I *do* see icons in the tiny version next to entries in the KDE Menu Editor. Just not in the preview in KDE Menu Editor or in the menu itself.
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
I just replaced my Xubuntu 14.04 with a fresh install of 15.10 to take advantage of the latest and greatest Kdenlive features.
Reinstalled the stable sunab ppa. I too am having problems with internal application icons. Please see http://s829.photobucket.com/user/zerofo ... ry/2014-02
I installed and used the Oxygen icon theme. I installed kde-runtime and kde-base-artwork. Nothing helps.

Please advise. Thanks.

EDIT: Disregard the above comments. I loaded Kdenlive 15.13.0 from the svn repository and all of these annoyances appear to have been fixed.
NICE WORK!
PCD
Registered Member
OS
Hello everybody: Something similar happens to me.

I just switched to Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" from Windows and installed Krita 2.8.5 with excitement.

But: Alas! The icons do not display at all!
When I mouse over the toolbar I can make up the buttons as they become highlighted, but they show no icons.

I installed Kdenlive from my software manager (there is no version for mint in Kdenlive website) as zerofossilfuel did and it didn't fix it.

Any help would be welcome.

EDIT: I just installed Oxygen-icon-theme (version 4:4.14.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa1) from my software manager and that did it :D
Don't know if it's the latest version, though.
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
PCD wrote:EDIT: I just installed Oxygen-icon-theme (version 4:4.14.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa1) from my software manager and that did it :D
Don't know if it's the latest version, though.

Which version of Kdenlive did you install?
PCD
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for answering :)

I used the one that came in the Linux Mint Software Manager: Kdenlive version 0.9.8-1ubuntu2~ubuntu14.04~ppa1
I'm aware it's not at all the latest. That's probably the reason it didn't work.

Anyway: Installing the Oxygen-icon-theme (version 4:4.14.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa1) from my Linux mint Software Manager got me my icons.

AND: What I found here looks even better and simpler for Mint users: installing Krita Lime (as told in David Revoy's website)
http://www.davidrevoy.com/article171/the-krita-lime-ppa-for-ubuntu-linux-mint-and-elementary-os

I'm a little too new to the Linux world to know exactly what happened or why things worked, but... they did for me :D
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
Well, I'm glad you got your problem sorted out. I, however, have not. I had been using Xubuntu 14.04 / Kdenlive 0.9.6 for production work without a single hiccup. Then I succumbed to the lure of a brand new shiny coin, upgraded my Xubuntu OS to 15.10 to take "advantage" of all the new whiz bang features and performance, only to find a not-even-close-to-ready-for-prime-time video editor, and no way to regress back to 0.9.6 without wiping my entire OS and regressing that back to 14.04 as well. Neither the native repository version, PPA release version or PPA SVN has resolved the crashing and audio latency issues I have been struggling with ever since upgrading. I have been openly supportive of this project from the moment I learned of it by speaking highly of it through my social media as well as monetarily but this last "upgrade" has been a *HUGE* mistake for me. I know the developers are working very hard to iron things out but I simply can not afford to wait any longer. It will be a VERY LONG TIME before I test these waters again.