This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Screensaver

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
martinpola
Registered Member
OS

Screensaver

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:40 pm
I am running KDE 5 on Kubuntu 14.10. Where do I choose which screensaver to use?
google01103
Manager

Re: Screensaver  Topic is solved

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:56 pm
probably not yet implemented

from May http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... asma-next/
the architecture for locking screens got simplified in Plasma Next. Support for screen savers got completely removed (fear not: we have plans for replacement, probably not in Plasma Next, but in a future release) and that helped a lot to trim down the architecture.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

martinpola
Registered Member
OS

Re: Screensaver

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:08 am
That's a pity, but thanks for the reply.
NoWorries
Registered Member

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm
google01103 wrote:probably not yet implemented

from May http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... asma-next/
the architecture for locking screens got simplified in Plasma Next. Support for screen savers got completely removed (fear not: we have plans for replacement, probably not in Plasma Next, but in a future release) and that helped a lot to trim down the architecture.

I have been testing Kubuntu 15.04 on a USB 3.0 flash drive and I was hopping that screen savers would be available when Vivid is released.

From the approach you are taking, I will seriously question installing the next version of Kubuntu 15.04 for main use. I will probably just keep it on my flash drive and use it occasionally until sreen savers are available. I am sorry to say that there are already a few other features "lacking" on Kubuntu 15.04 and these will also contribute to my delay in accepting Kubuntu 15.04.
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm
NoWorries wrote:From the approach you are taking, I will seriously question installing the next version of Kubuntu 15.04 for main use.

May I ask what makes screen savers such an important feature for you? Why are you needing screen savers?
NoWorries
Registered Member

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm
mgraesslin wrote:
NoWorries wrote:From the approach you are taking, I will seriously question installing the next version of Kubuntu 15.04 for main use.

May I ask what makes screen savers such an important feature for you? Why are you needing screen savers?

They add to a pleasureable desktop experience. I also use them to show M$ users an additional advantage of Kubuntu as I have a random selection of screensavers which I find pleasureable and attractive. M$ doesn't have anything that approaches this.

I also find that my 2 year old grandson enjoys looking at screensavers. There are also some sreensavers that contribute to a meditative experience. I once used a desktop recording of a screensaver at the end of a church service for which I used Kubuntu for projection.
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:50 pm
Thanks for your feedback. From what you write: you want a fullscreen animation running on your screen. This is fine, nothing to say against it. But why does it have to be a screen saver? Wouldn't it be enough to have some other application doing that?
Rog131
Registered Member

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:20 pm
luebking

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:43 pm
NoWorries wrote:They add to a pleasureable desktop experience.
I also find that my 2 year old grandson enjoys looking at screensavers.

My "enterthematrix" script.
I do run this as "better than Tv" entertainment.
Screensavers are normal executables, configuring a screensaver and wait (doing nothing) to see them is "suboptimal".

You'll need
- xset (to turn of dmps, you do have it installed most likely)
- unclutter (to hide the mouse)
- mplayer and the matrix scores (or there's no music ;-)
- wmctrl (to make the window fullscreen)

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms

unclutter &
UNCLUTTER_PID=$!

mplayer /home/music/ost/The\ Matrix/**/* &
MPLAYER_PID=$!

( sleep 0.5; wmctrl -r glmatrix -b add,fullscreen; wmctrl -a glmatrix ) &

trap 'kill $MPLAYER_PID >/dev/null 2>&1; unset MPLAYER_PID; kill $UNCLUTTER_PID >/dev/null 2>&1; unset UNCLUTTER_PID; xset +dpms' INT TERM EXIT

/usr/lib/xscreensaver/glmatrix -fog -waves -rotate -clock

[ -z $MPLAYER_PID ] || kill $MPLAYER_PID
[ -z $UNCLUTTER_PID ] || kill $UNCLUTTER_PID
xset +dpms

trap - INT TERM EXIT

for a less sophisticated approach, just try
Code: Select all
kstart --fullscreen /usr/lib/xscreensaver/euphoria -s2
NoWorries
Registered Member

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:43 pm
NoWorries wrote:
mgraesslin wrote:

They add to a pleasureable desktop experience. I also use them to show M$ users an additional advantage of Kubuntu as I have a random selection of screensavers which I find pleasureable and attractive. M$ doesn't have anything that approaches this.

I also find that my 2 year old grandson enjoys looking at screensavers. There are also some sreensavers that contribute to a meditative experience. I once used a desktop recording of a screensaver at the end of a church service for which I used Kubuntu for projection.

I woud like to point out one does not need to wait for a screensaver to start but can go to where the screensavers are located, in say Kubuntu 14.10, and select a screensaver and view it. Similarly with what Rog131 has shown, the same is possible with the xscreensaver setup.

I have just posted a solution to stop and continue a screensaver following the approach be Rog131. This can be located at post number #37: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... post367842

Having found this solution, I no longer care that the developers will not have screensavers any time soon and I am now more willing to consider Vivid when it is released.
kde-joneall
Registered Member

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:16 am
NoWorries wrote:I woud like to point out one does not need to wait for a screensaver to start but can go to where the screensavers are located, in say Kubuntu 14.10, and select a screensaver and view it. Similarly with what Rog131 has shown, the same is possible with the xscreensaver setup.

What does that mean, "go to where the screensavers are located, in say Kubuntu 14.10" when I am 15.04?
dominiksauer
Registered Member

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:50 am
I want my nice big analog clock that loc the screen back!!! o)
martinpola
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:48 pm
Mm. I sort of miss my asciiquarium.
kde-pcdoctor
Registered Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm
Man, screensavers are like candy. Hard to stop using. I'm glad I'm still using Plasma 4.
christiana
Registered Member

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:30 am
Furthermore it seems that OLEDs (try) to emerge on the Market.

And OLEDs have that "burning in"-feature i think.

- http://www.dell.com/de/p/alienware-13-r2/pd
- http://shop.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/th ... s/x1-yoga/
- http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/ ... 0-notebook

also plugged in via HDMI to an OLED TV.

For this reason it is not longer technically not required anymore.

Please bring back the Screensavers!