This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Screensaver

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jp73
Registered Member

Re: Screensaver

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm
dominiksauer wrote:I want my nice big analog clock that loc the screen back!!! o)

Yes, it's my dream too. :'(
They didn't ask us when broke our little world. I and all in my family stay on KDE4 and very happy with big analog clock.
KDE developers, please return back these lovely screensavers in Plasma5!
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 pm
I too will miss some of those old-time favorite x screensavers. They're just fun to watch.

A couple of ideas for enabling the old x screensavers in the new setup:
* port (some of) those x screensavers to qml so they can be used as wallpapers directly (total effort = effort to port 1 * number ported, varying by complexity of the port as some screensavers will be easier to port than others).
* Do some kind of proxy system where the wallpaper points (indirectly as necessary) at the output of some selected x screensaver. One option for this could be to create a utility which takes the output of the x screensaver and turns that into a video stream and then you just point the video wallpaper at that stream. Another which seems like it would take more effort and/or not be plausible (I'd love to be wrong) is to write a new wallpaper plugin which displays the output of some selected (random) x screensaver.

I also think it could be nice to add a new suite of qml-based screensavers (wallpaper plugins). Most of the x screensavers were basically technology demos - showing off the kinds of things the devs could do with graphics. So, all we'd need is a couple of people who know qml who have the free time and creativity to start throwing a them together.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
jp73
Registered Member

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:33 pm
About xscreensaver - it works OK after some manipulations, I used advices of smart users.
I don't know how run kclock from kdeartwork4-screensaver.
Packet kdeartwork4-screensaver for Tumbleweed is already installed. How can this screensaver run?
File: kclock.kss
jp73
Registered Member

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:05 pm
Added:
I can run file /usr/bin/kclock.kss from console and clock works with default settings.
How can control this application? (run after 30 min of inactivity, set full screen above all windows, preferred screensaver settings and others parameters).