This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to use Skype under Plasma 5?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
anli
Registered Member
OS

How to use Skype under Plasma 5?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 am
As far as Plasma 5 panel tray doesn't support old (and called legacy by the KDE team :) ) systray protocol, after starting Skype I see... nothing! There is a skype process, but there isn't a way to even open contact list window.

How do you use Skype under Plasma 5?
kbroulik
KDE Developer
OS
You need to install sni-qt in its 32-bit variant since Skype is a 32-bit application.
anli
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to use Skype under Plasma 5?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:13 am
kbroulik wrote:You need to install sni-qt in its 32-bit variant since Skype is a 32-bit application.
Thanks, yes, I know about this way. Unfortunately, at my case the way results in really deep and wide dependencies tree from not-official (for my Linux distribution) repository. I'm not ready to accept this way at the moment. Are there another workarounds?
kbroulik
KDE Developer
OS

Re: How to use Skype under Plasma 5?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:29 am
You can find more information about this here: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... ray-icons/
anli
Registered Member
OS
kbroulik wrote:You can find more information about this here: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 ... ray-icons/
Unfortunately, have not found anything acceptable.
bshah
Registered Member
OS
Hello

unfortunately, lib32-qt do not contain required patch that can work with sni-qt hence you need to recompile whole qt4. we are trying to get this patch merged in Archlinux packages, meanwhile you can use wmsystemtray as indicated in that blog post Kai pointed to..

Thanks

PS: I will let you know if there is any update about that patch
anli
Registered Member
OS
lib32-sni-qt is in official repo now, the issue is resolved.