This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Smaller icons like in KDE 4?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Evert
Registered Member
OS

Smaller icons like in KDE 4?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:05 pm
Hi everyone, I recently installed Plasma 5 on my Arch Linux install. I really like it, but can someone tell me how I can get the menu icon smaller, and place some extra icons next to eachother?
Here's a screenshot of my desktop with KDE 4: http://i.imgur.com/mEhKtA2.jpg
And this is my current desktop: http://i.imgur.com/1hcRKb2.jpg

As you can see (upper left corner), the KDE Icon is way too big, and I haven't yet found a way to add some icons like in the first screenshot. (the circle is actually the menu, btw.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Evert on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
google01103
Manager

Re: Smaller icons like in KDE 5?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:09 pm
appears that that icon's size is based on the width of the panel, so shrinking the width .......

also appears there is no obvious way to switch icons as is in KDE4, guessing the icon you used in KDE4 was not svg

"place some extra icons next to each other" - you are referring to "quick launch" widget? if so does not appear available in KDE5

a work around - shrink the length of the panel then in the freed up space add a Kmenu launcher widget and its size will then be independent of the width of the panel

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Evert
Registered Member
OS

Re: Smaller icons like in KDE 4?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:50 pm
google01103 wrote:"place some extra icons next to each other" - you are referring to "quick launch" widget? if so does not appear available in KDE5

Yes, that was its name :)
KejPi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:40 pm
Thank you for this thread!
Actually I wanted to create the same bacause I am using panel on left side (with quick launch) as well. With Plasma 5 it is unusable and looks awful. This is a blocking point for me to switch to plasma 5. I remember there was the same problem with kde4 at the beginning and know few year later we have it here again ;-)
BTW: I use svg icons in KDE4 and it works well.

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
google01103
Manager

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 pm
KejPi wrote:Thank you for this thread!
Actually I wanted to create the same bacause I am using panel on left side (with quick launch) as well. With Plasma 5 it is unusable and looks awful. This is a blocking point for me to switch to plasma 5. I remember there was the same problem with kde4 at the beginning and know few year later we have it here again ;-)
BTW: I use svg icons in KDE4 and it works well.

If this is a regression then please post a bug on bugs.kde.org, check first for an existing bug and vote for it if it exists

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:04 am
I have exactly the same problem. I always put my panel on left side of the desktop with auto-hide and in KDE4 all was working fine. The "Kickoff" menu size was right and there was a "Quick launcher" widget, that do not exist in Plasma 5, and can't understand why.

KejPi
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 am
There are already some bugreport for that, e.g. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343349

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Evert
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:35 am
I did actually use the workaround google01103 suggested, and it works quite well.

rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 pm
It's 2018. Still not solved. I would prefer that KDE fixes that regressions despite to come with new versions. :(
TKL-Ansi
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 pm
rafaellinuxuser wrote:It's 2018. Still not solved.

I gave it try. It works.
There is a setting which determines the size of the icons on the panel.
System Settings > Appearance > Icons > Advanced > Panel
---
KDE Neon
Plasma Version 5.12.5

[Edit]
Another VM test, same setting doesn't work with Plasma 5.8.7

:wq