This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I add a miniprogram to the dashboard?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
piedro
Registered Member
OS
After desktops can't have individual widgets nor wallpapers anymore, I would like to put useful widgets on the dashboard instead of fixing them to individual desktops (cause this doesn't work anymore)...

Now I press CTRL+F12 to call the dashboard and then add an analog clock for example...
Now I hide the dashboard but the clock stays there on the desktop?
Is this a bug? Are dashboards also abandoned? Shouldn't the dashboard overlay the desktop?

What am I missing or what am I doing wrong?

thx, piedro
google01103
Manager
I think you mis-understand the dashboard, see https://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/desktop.php

If you want is to have a collection of plasmoids that are not shown on your desktop but available to be displayed with a short cut then place them in their own activity and switch to that activity. Another option might be an auto-hide panel

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

piedro
Registered Member
OS
Yep, you are right, I misunderstood that.

So that's not a valid option as workaround for the removed individual desktop widgets per activity.

sad, piedro
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
You can configure the Dashboard to show the desktop widgets or show an independent set. In System Settings -> Workspace Behavior -> Workspace, change the Dashboard option to "Show Independent Widget Set" to get the behavior you were expecting.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
piedro
Registered Member
OS
@airdrik:
No, you can't - that's exactly the problem ... you realize we're talking about plasma 5.2?
This feature has been removed...

plz crarify,
p
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Oh, sorry. I was a little thrown off by google01103's mention of the announcement of the 4.0 release.
Probably less that it was removed, and more that it hasn't been implemented yet?
You might try submitting a feature request to have it added back? It seems like a useful feature to a number of people.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Somehow it shall not be implemented at all which makes me search for workarounds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/2 ... h_virtual/

it's sad, that it is, sad...,
cheers, p.