This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Porting the addon plasmoids to Framework 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Rog131: Thank you for that TODO list. It might be a way to keep better track of their progress.

david_edmundson: Thanks for willing to look into that! I imagine a photo frame with configurable slideshow support should be simple, if loading files from a directory isn't currently subject to any QML limitations. I can see this one happening first for that reason.

RSS Now (or why not a new RSS widget) might require a library to transfer and translate data from RSS feeds, like you said it will hopefully happen at the same time as said library. This plasmoid is a great way to get news from many websites of interest. By the way: One weakness of this widget was that it doesn't show the thumbnails of RSS entries... perhaps the Plasma 5 port will be able to fix this additionally?

As for weather, it's less important in my book at least... especially considering how often weather services get their data wrong :P I mostly mentioned it since it's one of the most used plasmoids yet to be ported, and some users might be eagerly waiting for it.
Rog131
Registered Member
robsn81
Registered Member
OS
There is a nice weather widget arround here: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/We ... ent=169572
schnelle
Registered Member
OS
david_edmundson wrote:Picture Frame, RSS Now

Yeah quite likely:
RSS was waiting on a library that PIM uses. When that's done should be easy.

I might do picture frame this weekend. Will make a nice change from just tidying up bugs.

Weather is a more complex job. Needs a volunteer.

There are weather widgets but no picture frame on kde-look.

So can you please upload picture frame widget to kde-look when you finish it (for plasma 5.4 users)?
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Plasma 5.4 recently arrived in openSUSE Tumbleweed, so I took a look at what changed on the test machine. The new full-screen launcher is pretty neat, although it seems to be a little slower at times. Also love the new volume control plasmoid. But yeah, still no sign of the others.

Any news on that photo frame widget, david_edmundson? Also are there any RSS widgets on kde-look, until plasma-addons 5.* will include one?
Lacrocivious
Registered Member
Like the OP, I really, really miss the Picture Frame plasmoid.

Its slideshow feature is the only way I'll likely ever see many (most?) of the images I have, and the ability to back up or go forward, and to open an image in another application is wonderful. Surely the new framework isn't so abstruse that this gem cannot easily be updated? <--ignorant non-dev user whine

I miss the YAWP weather and Luna plasmoids as well, but there are other sources for this information that aren't terribly cumbersome to access. Picture Frame, however, is keeping me from upgrading my primary systems from Fedora 21 to Fedora 22, a catastrophe of inconceivable scale (to an eyelash mite).

Not a dev myself, I do participate in projects as I can -- I'm a good editor and a willing lab test critter -- and not infrequently with release of new userspace paradigms I confess to wondering whether many devs actually pay any attention to things ordinary mortals actually use. Or perhaps I've only had bad luck, but the number of my application choices for specific operations that have been abandoned or ruined (can you say 'akonadi'?) since switching to linux in 2003 is horrifying.

david_edmundson : I applaud your work on SDDM! Thank you.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Surprised no one updated this thread yet: It appears Plasma 5.4.2 is going to have all of those plasmoids at long last! The frame, RSS, even weather.

Tumbleweed is still stuck at 5.4.1, but it's a matter of days until the update will be in. I already downloaded a RPM and unpacked it, and indeed there are plasmoids with these names included. This should be resolved in that case, but I'm waiting for the actual update to give them a test :)

[EDIT] Weird... apparently this is not necessarily the case? I could have sworn I looked at at the package a few days ago and they were there, and some websites reported these plasmoids returning in 5.4.2 as well. I shall wait and see I guess.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
MirceaKitsune wrote:Tumbleweed is still stuck at 5.4.1, but it's a matter of days until the update will be in. I already downloaded a RPM and unpacked it, and indeed there are plasmoids with these names included. This should be resolved in that case, but I'm waiting for the actual update to give them a test :)

5.4.2 will *not* add any new plasmoids. It is just a bug fix release.

Maybe you mistook some other files for "plasmoids" (the data engines maybe).

There definitely is no weather plasmoid in 5.4.2, and AFAIK it has not been ported yet, so won't necessarily be in 5.5 either.
There are third-party alternativesas mentioned.

For the other 2 I don't know, but I don't think they have been ported yet either.

Of course there's still some time until the 5.5.0 release, so it might be possible that they will be included, if somebody ports them in time (or maybe already has, but just not commited them yet)...
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:5.4.2 will *not* add any new plasmoids. It is just a bug fix release.

Maybe you mistook some other files for "plasmoids" (the data engines maybe).

There definitely is no weather plasmoid in 5.4.2, and AFAIK it has not been ported yet, so won't necessarily be in 5.5 either.
There are third-party alternativesas mentioned.

For the other 2 I don't know, but I don't think they have been ported yet either.

Of course there's still some time until the 5.5.0 release, so it might be possible that they will be included, if somebody ports them in time (or maybe already has, but just not commited them yet)...

The Plasma 5.4.2 package includes some log files, which have the names of the old plasmoids (eg: rssnow.*). I likely mistook that.

Considering this, I'm going to get custom ones from kde-look.org... am done waiting. Sadly I couldn't find a photo frame yet... maybe someone here knows of one, or there's progress on the one announced in this thread some weeks ago? As for the rest:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/We ... ent=169572

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Si ... ent=170862
Lacrocivious
Registered Member
That is harsh news, especially after momentary elation over inclusion in new packages, smacked down immediately when mistaken identity was confirmed.

Picture Frame in particular is actually preventing me from updating my primary systems beyond Fedora 21 or openSUSE 13.2. I suppose Picture Frame enjoys scant utility on a smartphone and thus will not likely be resurrected.

... Which caused me to review what advantages I have seen in the later versions of KDE and Framework 5, in my preferred desktop environment. An environment in which I routinely utilize available screen real estate and 'focus-follows-mouse' to clicklessly navigate upwards of 20 open windows, the very concept of which is beyond the conceptual scope of phablet addicts ;-)

There are no advantages for me in current KDE or Framework 5. Or at least, there are none I can identify. Not one.

What I can identify instead is, for example with Tumbleweed upgrade on a perfectly fine openSUSE 13.2 box, massive slowdown and inability to even load absent extreme failsafe fallback, and even then performance so slow as to be unusable in any realistic sense. Granted, older hardware, so meh. But there is no reason for me to cripple a perfectly well-configured and useful system so that I can use less of it.

What I can identify instead is, for example with Fedora 22 on a perfectly fine dual-display setup with three-year-old hardware that not only doesn't have Picture Frame but cannot even manage to update wallpaper-slideshow changes without black-screen every few changes on one display, or the other, or both. Or which has the ability to remove child windows when they are dismissed, rather than requiring an entirely new session to clear their clutter from display memory. Or which replaces simple settings like using 24-hour clock with the absurd necessity of cycling through various national-flag country settings that are frequently forgotten in a new session.

Again, all things that don't make much difference on a phablet.

Regressions suck. And from my own POV, that is all I am seeing. The things I mention above are only marginally representative of the limitations I encounter with current KDE and Plasma iterations, and remind me far too much of the reprehensible debacle that was 4.0. Frankly I am reminded even more of WinOS Vista, or WinOS 8.0.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Gnome has an even darker history of regressions. They removed support for desktop widgets altogether when they switched from version 2 to 3.

I think Picture Frame and the others will be back. At worst the community will create alternatives and put them in the plasmoid installation menu, if for some reason they don't return to plasma-addons altogether. I'm already using the RSS and weather widgets I linked above, loving them so far!
Rog131
Registered Member
KDE review board: KF5 (Picture) Frame plasmoid - https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/126793/
Review Request #126793 - Created Jan. 18, 2016

Description
KF5 version of the (Picture) Frame widget
Lacrocivious
Registered Member
This is wonderful news!

Is there a place to download and build the current code? I'm using Fedora 23 and, though I am far from being any sort of dev, I am a willing laboratory test animal, so to speak ;-)
Rog131
Registered Member
Lacrocivious wrote:This is wonderful news!

Is there a place to download and build the current code? I'm using Fedora 23 and, though I am far from being any sort of dev, I am a willing laboratory test animal, so to speak ;-)

The review board page: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/126793/ has an option to download the patch/diff.

Rog131
Registered Member
...and testing with the Arch:

1) Donwloading the Arch PKGBUILD & kdeplasma-addons.install for the kdeplasma-addons 5.5.4-1: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr ... ma-addons/
2) Executing the makepkg - getting the source - cleaning the build directory.
3) Applying the mediaframe.diff patch
4) Executing the makepkg with the existing, patched, source.
5) Installing the local build kdeplasma-addons-5.5.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

seems to work, at here.

Full image: http://i.imgur.com/Ni7EQKa.png