This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Breeze Dark desktop theme: Colors and contrast

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
harshad1
Registered Member
Hello all :)

I'm running plasma 5 on arch linux. When using the breeze dark desktop theme, there is very low contrast between the text / background on all menus and popups (see screenshots for examples). The obvious solution is to change either the text or background colors ... and I can't find a way to do this through the gui.

Is this an actual bug that others are encountering? Or is this oddly specific to my setup?

Thanks

Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
I'm running the same setup and colors are rather too dark and contrast too high, compared to Wonton soup. So please make sure you have all settings adjusted to dark including style, color, and cursor.
naraesk
Registered Member
OS
I'm using the dark Breeze theme too (and arch too) and it looks different. Darker background color, mainly.

Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
Here is what you have to do for a fully compliant Breeze Dark setup.

Workspace Theme
* Look and Feel: Breeze
* Desktop Theme: Breeze Dark
* Cursor Theme: Breeze
Color
* Scheme: Breeze Dark
Icons
* Icons: Breeze Dark
Application Style
* Widget Style: Breeze
* Window Decoration: org.kde.breeze

And that's why we want to introduce megathemes (c).
harshad1
Registered Member
Heiko Tietze wrote:Here is what you have to do for a fully compliant Breeze Dark setup.

Workspace Theme
* Look and Feel: Breeze
* Desktop Theme: Breeze Dark
* Cursor Theme: Breeze
Color
* Scheme: Breeze Dark
Icons
* Icons: Breeze Dark
Application Style
* Widget Style: Breeze
* Window Decoration: org.kde.breeze

And that's why we want to introduce megathemes (c).

Checked this. Everything was already set to this. No luck.

And yes! megathemes sound like an awesome idea!
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Part of the issue (on my end, at least) is that the Dark Breeze plasma theme is dependant on opengl, and if you have the Blur effect enabled or not. and/or background contrast effect also. Once I enabled the Blur effect, suddenly the Kmenu was using a readable, darker plasma theme (as expected) instead of the light colors in the OP's image that I had been getting.

This is on my older Dell d830 laptop with Intel graphics. My less old HP pc with a more modern Nvidia card did exhibit this, but switching the compositor to OpenGL 3 did the trick there.

On a side note, colors schemes mostly affect applications, and do not change things in plasma related items, so the Dark Breeze colors would not have an effect on the Kmenu and other plasma components, iirc.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
harshad1
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:Part of the issue (on my end, at least) is that the Dark Breeze plasma theme is dependant on opengl, and if you have the Blur effect enabled or not. and/or background contrast effect also. Once I enabled the Blur effect, suddenly the Kmenu was using a readable, darker plasma theme (as expected) instead of the light colors in the OP's image that I had been getting.

I can confirm that this works. My laptop is a not-so-old clevo with intel graphics (sandy bridge i5).

I feel that this should be classified as a bug - the desktop theme should not be affected by activation/deactivation of desktop effects (I already had the rendering backend set to opengl 3.1). If the theme *must* depend on the desktop effect, it should clearly state that this effect needs to be turned on.

What do you guys think? Worth filing a bug report over?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001