This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 does not offer ISO 8601 Date format

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
workoft
Registered Member
Hi,

In order to get ISO 8601 dates, I changed LC_TIME to en_DK.utf8. And while pcmanfm and firefox respect that, plasma 5 and kde applications keep showing Month DD, YYYY. My locale settings are on "No Change". Also, I can't find the en_DK locale in the settings. Should I file a bug or have I overlooked something?
Code: Select all
 $ locale
LANG=en_GB.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.utf8"
LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.utf8"
LC_ALL=

edit: qt4 applications also don't respect the locale. Not sure if this helps.

Regards,
Malte

Last edited by workoft on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
einar
Administrator
OS
Take a look at ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh and adjust it if need be.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
workoft
Registered Member
Unfortunately that doesn't work. No effect at all. The changes aren't even shown in systemsettings.
This should be configurable via systemsettings anyway. This shouldn't even have to be configured at all. Should I file a bug?

Oh, and as you can see, I'm using en_GB for everything else. Yet, the US format is used (Month DD YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY). I'm guessing KDE doesn't know en_DK and uses en_US as a fallback?
luebking
You do what to gain what?
ISO 8601 is YYYY-MM-DD, regardless of locales.

You can (should be able) to define date patterns in the "Date & Time" page of the language kcm ("kcmshell4 language", resp. "kcmshell5 language")
I only have an option to not change the country, but that's it.
luebking
Just saw various forums suggesting en_DK.UTF-8 would get you iso 8601 as default date format, however

$ LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 date
Mon Mar 2 16:45:06 CET 2015

and yes: i have generated it and yes:

$ LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8 date
Mo 2. Mär 16:44:54 CET 2015

and of course
$ date --iso-8601=seconds
2015-03-02T16:48:24+0100

so that seems wrong (and unreasonable)
Also

$ LC_ALL=da_DK.UTF-8 date
man mar 2 16:50:37 CET 2015
workoft
Registered Member
Appearantly en_DK is used for European continental decimal seperators and ISO 8601. But yes, those forum posts may just as well be wrong. It also seems, pcmanfm-qt uses ISO 8601 independent of your locale, that just supports your claim.
And yes I agree, the date format should be configurable independent of the language/locale. But while "kcmshell4 language" may work, "kcmshell5 language" does not, the "language" module does not exist in Plasma 5. However, the "format" kcm module should do exactly this - manual configuration of the date format.
I think the date format should be independent your language settings altogether (except for the month and weekday names) anyway, but that's another story.
einar
Administrator
OS
The problem is that Qt offers substantially less features with regards to locale than the now-deprecated locale support in the old kdelibs 4.x. These are IMO a fallout of this.

Traveller
Registered Member
This is still broken as of the release of Kubuntu 15.04.

There is no way to specify a custom format separate from a regional definition.
mparillo
Registered Member
OS
I think this sounds like a bug I opened, and it has generated some discussion (with no resolution): https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340982
Traveller
Registered Member
Three months later and still no progress.

It is really bad that an upgrade results in significant loss of function. This issue is keeping me from upgrading my Production Kubuntu box. I was hoping that a fix, or even a workaround, would exist by now. I am investigating alternatives that do not use KDE. It isn't a priority, but I will migrate when I find a solution that works. KDE was my solution the Unity issue. It's annoying, but I'm willing to do all that again.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
Traveller wrote:Three months later and still no progress.

There is.
An option to display the date as YYYY-MM-DD has been added to the digital clock recently and will be in Plasma 5.4 to be released this month.
See also https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=348080
close
Registered Member
I have Plasma 5.4.1 loaded as part of the Fedora 22 installation. I sure don't see any ISO-8601 format option. Where should I be looking?

Note, I'm not talking abou the clock. I mean the general Plasma setting which (I hope) affects everywhere else the date/time is displayed.
einar
Administrator
OS
It's going to be offered in Plasma 5.5, out in a few months.

close
Registered Member
Thanks. I hope this promise will come true, unlike the assertion a few notes above.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
close wrote:Thanks. I hope this promise will come true, unlike the assertion a few notes above.

If you refer to *my* comment with this: I was specifically talking about the digital clock in the panel, and this does offer the ISO 8601 date format since 5.4.0.