This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 Folder widget display options

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
scpython
Registered Member
The Folder widget when added to the Panel behaves differently in Plasma 5 compared to KDE Plasma 4. In KDE4 the drop down is a single scrollable icon of folders the full height of the screen. Image
This allows a quick access to the top level desktop folders. In Plasma 5 the Folder widget does have more configuration options, eg; "columns" and "rows" - but none of these allows a configuration of a single column drop down menu from the Panel as it did in KDE 4.
Am I missing something or is this something that has been overlooked or discarded? If the latter, I humbly beg that the programmers at least add an option for it to be configured as a single column drop down.
scpython
Registered Member
No response to this article I posted two months ago. Plasma 5.3 is released and still no change in the folder widget and only a few widgets added. Do the maintainers of the folder widget seriously think their Plasma 5 version is an improvement over the design of the folder widget in kde4?
teneighty
Registered Member
I enthusiastically second to motion! In Plasma 4 I used the QuickAccess plasmoid all the time, it was so handy, but that project appears to have died (last update at KDE-look.org was August 2008, so I assume we will never see Plasma 5 support). I do prefer the single column scrolling layout of QuickAccess.

Also on the behaviour side, instead of opening a folder in Dolphin or other file manager when clicking on it, I would prefer the QuickAccess behaviour of navigating up and down the directory tree within the widget, and having a button or icon at the top of the widget to open the current folder in a file manager once I get where I want to go. I don't see a way to configure the Folder widget to do this either. Folder appears to have many more features than the relatively simple QuickAccess. Adding these option would make it a great and very flexible replacement for QuickAccess.

I was not able to find a project home page for the folder widget. QuickAccess was easy to find at kde-look.org. Does anyone know if there is a web page for Folder widget where the subject would be better discussed?

(Screenshot of the QuickAccess plasmoid from KDE-look.org)
einar
Administrator
OS
See https://blogs.kde.org/2015/06/04/folder ... iews-again - it will be back in Plasma 5.4.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
teneighty
Registered Member
If I understand the description correctly, that's everything I was hoping for. Nice! can't wait :D