This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem with Plasma 5 after Kubuntu 14.10 - 15.04 upgrade

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-doctordruidphd
Registered Member
I recently upgraded Kubuntu-14.10 running KDE4 (no plasma, neon, or other special ppas in use) to 15.04 with Plasma 5. Several problems have emerged; I posted this on the Kubuntu forums, but no one else seems to be having these problems, or can reproduce them.

1. I am unable to drag and drop from the Kickoff launcher to the panel. Attempting to do so creates a space on the panel, but no functional icon; after logging out and back in, the space is gone, and no icon. I can add to the panel from Kickoff in "classic menu" style. Widgets are unlocked.

2. I am unable to download new schemes, themes, etc. The "Get New..." button brings up a gui that says" "Loading of providers from http://downloads.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml failed" (or words to that effect -- sorry I'm not running it now). I was told this is a bug that was fixed, but it seems to have re-emerged in my installation. Is there a work-around, or something I can edit to fix this?

3. Most GTK applications (example: synaptic) have black icons. If I try to edit the application in kickoff, I am unable to change or edit the icon -- I can choose a new one, but the change does not take effect. I vaguely remember this same kind of thing happened when going from KDE3 to KDE4, and an eventual upgrade fixed it.

I have tried adding a new user to the system, but the same problems appear with a new user account. I have also tried altering the desktop effect settings, but this makes no difference.
nbelavic
Registered Member
OS
kde-doctordruidphd wrote:I recently upgraded Kubuntu-14.10 running KDE4 (no plasma, neon, or other special ppas in use) to 15.04 with Plasma 5. Several problems have emerged; I posted this on the Kubuntu forums, but no one else seems to be having these problems, or can reproduce them.

you are not alone :)

kde-doctordruidphd wrote:1. I am unable to drag and drop from the Kickoff launcher to the panel. Attempting to do so creates a space on the panel, but no functional icon; after logging out and back in, the space is gone, and no icon. I can add to the panel from Kickoff in "classic menu" style. Widgets are unlocked.

i didn't noticed that because i switched to classic menu style.

kde-doctordruidphd wrote:2. I am unable to download new schemes, themes, etc. The "Get New..." button brings up a gui that says" "Loading of providers from http://downloads.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml failed" (or words to that effect -- sorry I'm not running it now). I was told this is a bug that was fixed, but it seems to have re-emerged in my installation. Is there a work-around, or something I can edit to fix this?

Same problem here! But, i have read somewhere that this part is not finished, and there aren't new themes available yet (old ones are not compatible).

kde-doctordruidphd wrote:3. Most GTK applications (example: synaptic) have black icons. If I try to edit the application in kickoff, I am unable to change or edit the icon -- I can choose a new one, but the change does not take effect. I vaguely remember this same kind of thing happened when going from KDE3 to KDE4, and an eventual upgrade fixed it.

This is most irritating problem!!!
In my case, some icons are simply - blank. Icons are not shown in Application Menu and panel. But, at the same time, if i put an shortcut to the desktop, icon is there! Applications that don't have icons have them in "other" but i think the problem is that icon is not in .svg but in .png format???

Here is a picture that will make everything much clearer :)

nbelavic
Registered Member
OS
Another thing. If i want to add new wallpaper (layout: folder), click on open and this is what i get:

ugly, messed icons, no preview, no nothing :)
nbelavic
Registered Member
OS
kde-doctordruidphd
Registered Member
Thanks for your reply.

In connection with changing wallpapers, I also noticed a problem. The chooser just displays frames, no thumbnails, and when I go through the dialogs to open an existing image, it takes me back to the frames without thumbnails, and I can't pick the image I just chose.

These problems all remind me of similar ones that happened with the switch to KDE4. I think that maybe Plasma5 was pushed into Kubuntu a little too soon, before a thorough examination of potential upgrading problems was made. The whole idea here is that upgrading, rather than reinstalling, should work, and at the moment it seems not to.

I guess we just keep slugging away at it. And keep 14.10 alive.
nbelavic
Registered Member
OS
any news for these missing icons? :)
kde-doctordruidphd
Registered Member
No change in the problem.
The only way I have found around it is that I can add an icon (some of them, but not others) from the System Icons list; some work, some don't.
Supposedly this is a bug that may have been fixed in git, but as I don't want to mix git and repository packages, it will have to wait.
See: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346316
ianp5a
Registered Member

I want to go back

Tue May 05, 2015 6:28 pm
15.04 was a horrible upgrade. I wish I knew how to go back.
- Inkscape will not show up on the Kickstart menu.
- USB notification: "Open in Digikam" has been lost and I can't reinstate it.
- Auto Logon doesn't work. Password still needed.
- Many Digikam Icons are not visible or black.
- Stitching Panoramas in Digikam fails with strange error messages.
I've been told the new Plasma is not compatible with many applications like Digikam.
kde-doctordruidphd
Registered Member
Unless you have a backup, I don't know how to reverse the upgrade.

Bottom line is that Plasma 5 was pushed too soon into a release that is supposed to be stable.
fredaum
Registered Member
in my case, dont load workspace, mouse turns to a "x" e no more
Skygge666
Registered Member
Hi!

I upgraded my Kubuntu also and noticed some annoying bugs:

1. Problems with two monitors setup when only 1 monitor is on.
When my TV (1920x1080), connected to HDMI port is off or switched to sat decoder, my two-monitor configuration is lost. Systemsettings can't save config. I set up configuration, turn off TV output, set up resolution on primary monitor (1680x1050), move TV to the left side of my primary monitor. Then everything is OK to next reboot. After that my configuration is reset: my primary monitor resolution is set to 1280x1024 or 1920x1080 (!), TV appears in random position on the settings applet. I have to set up this all over again after each power on my PC. :/ :/ :/ GFX: NVidia GTX 660, proprietary drivers.

2. Update tray icon won't hide after update.
I have one PC in my office that is never turned off, so the update tray icon is ALWAYS visible because it won't disappear after update.

Sorry for my bad english.