This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KRunner "Run Command" Issues

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cmaves
Registered Member

KRunner "Run Command" Issues

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:56 am
I'm pretty new to KDE, and I just recently installed Plasma 5.2 with KF 5.9 on an arch linux system. I installed it with the plasma-meta package. I then installed Dolphin and Konsole.

The Issue I'm having is with krunner's "Run Command". When trying to run a command through krunner it never brings up the terminal. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is some type of problem with the configuration, but I couldn't find any information about it on the forums. I have set Konsole as the default terminal application and I have tried using other terminal emulators but the problem persists. The only way I can get the "Run Command" function to work is if I kill krunner and restart it through konsole. Then it will run the commands in the terminal that is running krunner, but this kinda defeats the point of krunner if a terminal is already open. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
einar
Administrator
OS

Re: KRunner "Run Command" Issues

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:32 am
What do you mean exactly "It never brings up a terminal"? Can you make an example of what you're trying to accomplish?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
luebking

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:20 am
afaiu to run "ls" in krunner and have it run in a terminal emulator, ie. to eg. run
Code: Select all
konsole --hold -e 'ls'

notice that this does NOT run through bash, you want to run bash and pass that the command there
Code: Select all
konsole --hold -e "bash -c 'ls'"

If you want to run some command in a terminal emulator, that's not implicitly possible. You either have to run the TE and pass the command for execution (see above) or write a desktop service file (run "kmenuedit") and set that to run in a terminal emulator.

*Obviously*, you cannot "run ls in krunner and magically redirect it to some konsole randomly available" - the main problem here is that even if you detect the konsole window, you'll have to somehow use it for the commands output. Now assume there was a very messy job ("make") already running... and you probably would not want to kill that either.
cmaves
Registered Member

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm
I guess I misunderstood what the krunner was capable of. I was trying to achieve the functionality described here. The run command functionality works great if there is no output, but a lot of commands have output or require some type of user interaction. Online it appeared like you could set krunner up so that it would bring up terminal and run commands, but it appears that this isn't possible.
luebking
Running a command like this brings up a wrench icon which offers additional options. You can choose to spawn a terminal and run the command there...

PS: are you perhaps looking for https://yakuake.kde.org/
cmaves
Registered Member

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 pm
luebking wrote:
Running a command like this brings up a wrench icon which offers additional options. You can choose to spawn a terminal and run the command there...

PS: are you perhaps looking for https://yakuake.kde.org/

Yeah, was looking into tilda, but I after looking at yakuake I prefer yakuake more. Better maintained and looks nicer.