This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Migrate settings from Platform 4.14.1 to 5.9.0

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Theoretiker
Registered Member
I had Kubuntu 14.10 on a machine which then had Platform 4.14.1. Then I did the upgrade to Kubuntu 15.04 yesterday and now have Platform 5.9.0 installed. Most of my personal settings seem to be back to default.

• Instead of kwin, I use Awesome WM. I have a little snippet export KDEWM=awesome sitting at .kde/env/vm.sh. This does not work any more. I have read that this file now has to go into .config/plasma-session/env/wm.sh.
  • My Konsole profiles are not found at all. The current ones reside in .kde/share/apps/konsole/*.profile, the new ones seem to be created in .local/share/konsole/*.profile.

How can I migrate the most part of my settings? I do not want to spend a lot of time in getting all the global shortcuts, Konsole profile and so on working.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
Theoretiker wrote:How can I migrate the most part of my settings? I do not want to spend a lot of time in getting all the global shortcuts, Konsole profile and so on working.

Try to just copy them.
The stuff from ~/.kde/share/apps/ should go to ~/.local/share/, and the config files from ~/.kde/share/config/ are looked for in ~/.config /now.

And as you noticed yourself already, instead of ~/.kde/env/ now ~/.config/plasma-session/env/ is used for startup/shutdown scripts.

This should be all I can think of at the moment.

But I cannot guarantee you that all settings will still work.
einar
Administrator
OS
Please file bugs for applications that do not migrate their settings correctly. There's plumbing that each app developer needs to put in for migration to work.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
Theoretiker
Registered Member
einar wrote:Please file bugs […]

Okay, I will do that.

I think I will also have to file them against Ubuntu, since the support for 14.10 will end in a couple months, but I would like to have this sorted out before I go to 15.04.