This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

black screen after login --> task bar gone

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thomas-aus-s
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the amazing plasma 5 and hope to find help here. It all worked well until suddenly Plasma 5 crashed. The task bar vanished but the rest seemed to work nonetheless. I restarted the computer, logged in and had nothing but a black screen with nothing but the mouse pointer. There are some hints on how to fix it (on kubuntuforum.net and on this site) but these things don't work 100% in my case. I tried:
- delete ~/.cache
- press ALT+F2 and start plasmashell (nothing happened)
- new installation (with keeping /home, nothing changes. When I format /home, everything is fine for some hours until plasma crashes again...)
- sudo chown -R yourusername /home/yourusername (fix potentially wrong permissions, this command fixed it for someone in the kubuntuforums.net-forum)
- sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm

current situation: basically everything is working except that I don't have a task bar. I can open applications, use them as usual, etc. but I don't have the task bar at the lower part of the screen nor the button at the top right corner (there was one, if I remember correctly).

I don't have nvidia hardware, my graphics is:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Kernel driver in use: i915

Any suggestions how to fix it?
Is there a command to restart the task bar?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!
Thomas

P.S.: my background: I know the basics about linux but I'm not an expert.
thomas-aus-s
Registered Member
Hello,

thread can be closed. I managed to get back the task bar: right click on desktop, click on "add control bar" (or something similar) and then choose standard control bar. Well, it was much easier than expected...

And if you have a black screen, one of the solutions mentioned above helps ;-)