This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Help for KDE Plasma 5.3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
massimos
Registered Member

Help for KDE Plasma 5.3

Sun May 03, 2015 9:46 am
Hello everyone,
I have a problem with KDE, my system is Kubuntu 15.04 with Plasma 5.3 (with Kubuntu Backports PPA), unfortunately I installed a widget (Yahoo! Weather Widget 5.0.0) manually and after a reboot, after the Login screen, the desktop screen remains black, i do not have the ability to launch applications, the kde seems to be corrupt.
I can reinstall Plasma 5.3?
I tried deleting the folder .kde and .config, but did not solve.
thanks
Massimo
luebking

Re: Help for KDE Plasma 5.3

Sun May 03, 2015 10:23 am
Does pressing Alt+F2 open a runner window?
If yes, try to run "konsole" and see whether a plasmashell process is running (if yes, you could gdb into it to check whether and where it hangs)

If no runner input shows up: does pressing SHIFT+Alt+F12 (suspend the compositor) resolve the situation?
massimos
Registered Member

Sun May 03, 2015 10:37 am
Thanks for replay, yes plasmashell process is running,

small update:
I created a new user with the kde this works, of course I missed all configurations >:(
luebking

Sun May 03, 2015 10:48 am
Didn't you suggest you already deleted ~/.config?
You'll have nuked settings for quite some applications by this anyway.

~/.config/plasma* and ~/.cache/plasma* might be relevant (in case krunner showed up and it's NOT a compositor issue)
massimos
Registered Member

Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 pm
I tried with:
1) sudo service sddm stop
2) rm -r .config/plasma*
3) rm -r .cache-HP-probook-... /plasma*
4) sudo service sddm start

but it does not work, always black screen
luebking

Sun May 03, 2015 12:25 pm
You're somehow avoiding an answer to whether you could get up a runner or had success with suspending the compositor.
Unless we've an idea about the natur of the problem, there's neither a way to deal with it.
massimos
Registered Member

Sun May 03, 2015 8:11 pm
checking the .xsession-error, it seems that there are errors in the server akonadi, in particular on the mysql db (D-Bus session bus ia not available!),
could it be the problem?
thanks

this is the file : xsession-error http://paste.ubuntu.com/10980781/
massimos
Registered Member

Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 pm
I resolved, the problem was the cache, with "rm -r .cache" works.
thanks
rburgosnavas
Registered Member

Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 pm
I've had the same problem 4 times already, and each time I was able to get the desktop back through a different solution. The 4th crash happened about an hour ago. I tried deleting .cache, but that caused the login screen to load a black screen with "Starting version 219" or something like that on it, then reloading the login screen and starting that loop over. I moved .config/ to .config_OLD/, rebooted, and I'm now back on the desktop.
atulsharma
Registered Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:14 pm
luebking wrote:Does pressing Alt+F2 open a runner window?
If yes, try to run "konsole" and see whether a plasmashell process is running (if yes, you could gdb into it to check whether and where it hangs)

If no runner input shows up: does pressing SHIFT+Alt+F12 (suspend the compositor) resolve the situation?

Hi
I have problem with my kde too . I am using arch linux with plasma 5.5 ( sddm ).After recent update I encountered the same problem of black screen after logging in . I tried removing .cache/ and .config/ but did not solve. Moreover i tried Alt+F2 but it did not open a runner window .Neither SHIFT+ALT+F12 resolved the situation for me . Please help!
.xsession-error -> http://ix.io/ne3
luebking

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 pm
> symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5Declarative.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN17KLocalizedContextC1EP7QObject

Broken installation, either distro bug or you canceled some update (power loss or similar?) or applied a half-baked downgrade - and now have incompatible library versions.
Force an update of at least the "ki18n" package, but potentially more things are trashed now.
atulsharma
Registered Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:38 pm
luebking wrote:> symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5Declarative.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN17KLocalizedContextC1EP7QObject

Broken installation, either distro bug or you canceled some update (power loss or similar?) or applied a half-baked downgrade - and now have incompatible library versions.
Force an update of at least the "ki18n" package, but potentially more things are trashed now.

Thanks alot .It worked for me :)
upgrading ki18n-git to ki18n actually!