This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

plasma "disappeared"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
giuseppesavo
Registered Member

plasma "disappeared"

Sun May 10, 2015 3:56 pm
hi everybody,

I'm new in KDE, so I don't know exactly how to explain my problem.

I'm using kubuntu 15.04, with plasma 5. After an update that involved the installation of ms fonts and a new linux kernel, plasma "disappeared".

I can use the pc, the pc starts, ask me for user name and password, charges something (I see the splash screen with the icon of KDE and the bar loading), but the "desktop" is black.
I was able to use the pc because when it happened I had dolphin open, and I can start from ther the terminal, so I can use every software.

Well, what can I do to restart plasma desktop?

kstart plasma-desktop doesn't work.

trying to enter in "failsafe" status doesn't work: after few seconds I obtain again the window with login box.

8-)
google01103
Manager

Re: plasma "disappeared"

Sun May 10, 2015 4:21 pm
the command plasma-desktop is KDE 4 specific, try using plasmashell
best practice would be to make sure it is not running and if it is kill it and then start it again

Code: Select all
kquitapp plasmashell && sleep 5 && plasmashell

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

giuseppesavo
Registered Member

Sun May 10, 2015 4:31 pm
nothing...

the answer is in italian, so I will translate

kquitapp(7620): "impossible to find the application plasmashell using the service org.kde.plasmashell ed the path /MainApplication."
google01103
Manager

Sun May 10, 2015 5:34 pm
try killing it with ksysguard then run it, kquitapp works fine for me

also see the thread viewtopic.php?f=289&t=125034

giuseppesavo
Registered Member

Sun May 10, 2015 5:50 pm
plasmashell doesn't appear in the list in ksysguard.

I'm reading the thread you linked.
giuseppesavo
Registered Member

Sun May 10, 2015 6:03 pm
trying with a simple "plasmashell" I obtained this...

Code: Select all
giuseppe@accapippone:~$ plasmashell
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Brezza)"
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_wallpaperimages.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_layoutemplate.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_share.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_wallpaper.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_plasmashell.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_lookandfeel.so" instead.
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/giuseppe/.cache/ksycoca5"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open global ksycoca from  "/home/giuseppe/.local/share/kservices5/ksycoca5"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/giuseppe/.cache/ksycoca5"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open global ksycoca from  "/home/giuseppe/.local/share/kservices5/ksycoca5"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Still no database...
No ksycoca database available! Tried running kbuildsycoca5 ?
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Plasma/Containment" not found
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Plasma/LayoutTemplate" not found
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated. please move it to /home/giuseppe/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf manually
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_wallpaperimages.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_layoutemplate.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_share.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_wallpaper.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_plasmashell.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_lookandfeel.so" instead.
kscreen: launcherDataAvailable: "org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR"
kscreen: Launcher finished with exit code 1 , status 0
kscreen: Service for requested backend already running
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Plasma/Applet" not found
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Plasma/Containment" not found
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Plasma/ContainmentActions" not found
offers is empty for  "org.kde.paste"
offers is empty for  "org.kde.contextmenu"
offers is empty for  "org.kde.switchdesktop"
Containment graphic object not valid

google01103
Manager

Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 pm
fyi I marked thread unsolved

did you try removing ~/.cache ? the other suggestion was to rename ~.config

I would suggest, if possible, to create and test a new user as that will mean there's a bad config file if the new user works - if the new user works I'd move the ~/.config/*plasma* files and try starting plasmashell

giuseppesavo
Registered Member

Sun May 10, 2015 7:56 pm
I just tried removing ~/.cache and ~/.config , and this "moved" something. Now plasmashell starts at beginning, and I can notice it in ksysguard. the panel in the lower part of the screen is present, but they crash after few seconds...

edit: after a plasmashell from konsole, everything seems working...
giuseppesavo
Registered Member

Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 pm
Well... everything is ok, now.

I noticed that the two directories weren't "available" from my account, but I had to delete them using "sudo".
einar
Administrator
OS

Wed May 13, 2015 5:37 am
That means they had wrong permissions, somehow, and that was the reason of your issues (processes running as your user couldn't acess them).

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python