This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Show Desktop hiding panels, how to Double-click to open apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kdeuser888
Registered Member
Hi,

Setup:
Arch Linux x86_64
KDE Plasma 5, Frameworks Version 5.10.0

I have two issues/questions:

1) I added a "Show Desktop" widget to my panel. When I click on this button all the windows minimizes which is expected but all my panels also disappear(!) which is not expected.

2) When I have an app. icon on my desktop or panel I only have to single click to open. How do I change this to double-click? I already have "Double-click to open files and folders" set in Input settings.

Thanks!
luebking
panels will remain visible in 5.3.1
kdeuser888
Registered Member
I upgraded and now Show Desktop works properly. However, now I am unable to move app. icons to the desktop. I am able to drag and drop icons to the panels but not onto the desktop. I have tried locking/unlocking but no help. I am using Desktop View. Is there a way to manually add icons for apps onto the desktop?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
kdeuser888 wrote:I upgraded and now Show Desktop works properly. However, now I am unable to move app. icons to the desktop. I am able to drag and drop icons to the panels but not onto the desktop. I have tried locking/unlocking but no help. I am using Desktop View.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346867

This problem already existed in 5.3.0 though.

Is there a way to manually add icons for apps onto the desktop?

Yes.
Add an "Icon" plasmoid to your desktop and configure it accordingly.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:
kdeuser888 wrote:Add an "Icon" plasmoid to your desktop and configure it accordingly.

Oops, I just noticed that the "Icon" plasmoid doesn't have any settings (yet?), so you are not able to configure it.

If you use Kicker as application launcher ("Application Launcher based on cascading menus"), your menu entries should have "Add to Panel" and "Add to Desktop" right-click context menu entries.
You can also add an entry to the panel, and then drag it to the desktop.