This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kicker Favorites

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
djotaku
Registered Member
OS

Kicker Favorites

Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 pm
A while back there was a huge hubub about zeitgeist and all the awesome stuff it was going to do for KDE. Did that ever amount to anything? I thought it was going to allow the Kicker menu's favorites to show the programs you actually use the most. I mostly use the alt-F2 or icons, but is there a way to get Kicker to show you your truly favorite programs?
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Kicker Favorites

Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 pm
There is no Zeitgeist.

But those improvements do exist:
https://blogs.kde.org/2015/04/25/buildi ... -plasma-53

djotaku
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 am
ivan wrote:There is no Zeitgeist.

But those improvements do exist:
https://blogs.kde.org/2015/04/25/buildi ... -plasma-53

I don't have that. What do I have to do to turn it on? I'm on Plasma 5.3 as that's what's on Fedora 22
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Sat May 30, 2015 8:28 pm
> I don't have that. What do I have to do to turn it on? I'm on Plasma 5.3 as that's what's on Fedora 22

If Fedora packaged everything correctly, you should not need anything special.

You can check whether 'kactivitymanagerd status' command gives you a proper version - should be >= 6.2.0

I can't think of anything else that might be a problem.

---
p.s. For a bit more information on Zeitgeist and why it has not been integrated into Plasma:

The Zeitgeist people had a few nice ideas, and planned to adapt it so that it might be useful for us. That did not happen, although we did all the agreed-upon work from our side. They spent a lot of time reimplementing the service in another programming language (Vala from Python), and after that was finished, the project was put on hold (they haven't released a new version for almost two years - see https://launchpad.net/zeitgeist/).

During that time, we finished our own mechanism for usage data collection (the first versions of the system were developed at the same time as the original python-based Zeitgeist - that version was based on nepomuk, but not anymore). It is only now that we actually started to use it in Plasma (it was one of the pillars of Plasma Active, but never got to the desktop version until now.)

djotaku
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:46 pm
ivan wrote:> I don't have that. What do I have to do to turn it on? I'm on Plasma 5.3 as that's what's on Fedora 22

If Fedora packaged everything correctly, you should not need anything special.

You can check whether 'kactivitymanagerd status' command gives you a proper version - should be >= 6.2.0

I can't think of anything else that might be a problem.

---
p.s. For a bit more information on Zeitgeist and why it has not been integrated into Plasma:

The Zeitgeist people had a few nice ideas, and planned to adapt it so that it might be useful for us. That did not happen, although we did all the agreed-upon work from our side. They spent a lot of time reimplementing the service in another programming language (Vala from Python), and after that was finished, the project was put on hold (they haven't released a new version for almost two years - see https://launchpad.net/zeitgeist/).

During that time, we finished our own mechanism for usage data collection (the first versions of the system were developed at the same time as the original python-based Zeitgeist - that version was based on nepomuk, but not anymore). It is only now that we actually started to use it in Plasma (it was one of the pillars of Plasma Active, but never got to the desktop version until now.)

Thanks for the bg on zeitgiest. As for my Kicker - it's an upgrade (as opposed to a fresh install), so perhaps there's a configuration bit that needs to be flipped somewhere?
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:12 pm
It should be on by default - at least, I haven't configured anything. You can check it out in the kicker settings (right-click on the icon > 'Application Menu Settings' > Show recent applications and Show recent documents).

djotaku
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:37 am
ivan wrote:It should be on by default - at least, I haven't configured anything. You can check it out in the kicker settings (right-click on the icon > 'Application Menu Settings' > Show recent applications and Show recent documents).

My Application Launcher Settings have the following options:
"Switch Tabs on hover"
"Show applications by name"
"Show 'recently installed'"

Nothing like what you said
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:42 am
Are you using Kickoff? (not Kicker as specified in the title)

These things are not (yet) done for Kickoff.

djotaku
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:54 pm
ivan wrote:Are you using Kickoff? (not Kicker as specified in the title)

These things are not (yet) done for Kickoff.

Good question. I'm using whatever looks like KDE 4 looked like.