This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Chrome address bar links are not copied to Klipper

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

When coping links from Chrome address bar instead of link Klipper picks up some mumbo jumbo as you can see in the picture below.

Once I have picked up the link via triple click on the link in Chrome address bar I can paste it back in Kwrite using middle-mouse button but no right-click-paste. X11 should be coping the data but not Klipper.

Is it a Klipper problem? I am on Plasma 5.3 on Fedora 22.

Thanks.
luebking
You mean the additional data when copying stuff from the BOOKMARKS (not the thing where you type urls)?

Chromium als copies the Bookmarks description into the mime, but it's percentage encoded (or something like this, every single character has a leading "%00", could be some encoding used internally by chromium) and apparently klipper cannot make any sense out of this data.

The "problem" is that klipper is "too smart" and collects all the copied mime instead of only the front data
(and "too dumb" to reasonably handle it)

The "bug" itself is in the klipper SNI (or SNI using dbusmenu-qt), if you run "qdbus org.kde.klipper /klipper showKlipperPopupMenu" you should see the "weird" text.
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:You mean the additional data when copying stuff from the BOOKMARKS (not the thing where you type urls)?

Chromium als copies the Bookmarks description into the mime, but it's percentage encoded (or something like this, every single character has a leading "%00", could be some encoding used internally by chromium) and apparently klipper cannot make any sense out of this data.

The "problem" is that klipper is "too smart" and collects all the copied mime instead of only the front data
(and "too dumb" to reasonably handle it)

The "bug" itself is in the klipper SNI (or SNI using dbusmenu-qt), if you run "qdbus org.kde.klipper /klipper showKlipperPopupMenu" you should see the "weird" text.

I mean the link from the address bar. I guess the urls. Does this sound similar https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=424111

Since I can paste the data using middle click in kwrite makes me think the problem might be in Klipper.

qdbus org.kde.klipper /klipper showKlipperPopupMenu
Service 'org.kde.klipper' does not exist.
luebking

Klipper is not running or failed to register its main dbus service?
(check "qdbus | grep -i klipper" whether there's any dbus service for it)

*that* feature of chromium is weird ;-)

- single clicking doesn't put anything into the primary selection buffer here (klipper or not)
- double/triple clicking updates the primary selection buffer but klipper adds an empty line instead of the actual content.

First seems a chromium bug and second to be a klipper failure to gracefully handle whatever kind of mimedata chromium dumps in there (could be the urls comes as text data and and the text data is then the actual url - which is however ignored because the url was favored)

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338769
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:

Klipper is not running or failed to register its main dbus service?
(check "qdbus | grep -i klipper" whether there's any dbus service for it)

*that* feature of chromium is weird ;-)

- single clicking doesn't put anything into the primary selection buffer here (klipper or not)
- double/triple clicking updates the primary selection buffer but klipper adds an empty line instead of the actual content.

First seems a chromium bug and second to be a klipper failure to gracefully handle whatever kind of mimedata chromium dumps in there (could be the urls comes as text data and and the text data is then the actual url - which is however ignored because the url was favored)

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338769

"qdbus | grep -i klipper" doesn't yeild anything. I am on Plamsa 5/frameworks 5.10 on Fedora 22.

Chrome has slightly different way of handling the primary selection in address bar. It's a usability problem and there is *no right way*.

As you can see I filed the Chromium issue and have followed it very closely. I can't reproduce that bug in KDE4.

Do you recommend any future course of action? Should I pursue it with Klipper developer or Chrome developers?

PS:- Has Klipper in Plasma 5 removed show clipboard history shortcut Ctrl+Alt+V? Has it also removed the ability to generate barcode?
luebking
donniezazen wrote:"qdbus | grep -i klipper" doesn't yeild anything. I am on Plamsa 5/frameworks 5.10 on Fedora 22.

No dbus could break some things - are you absolutely sure klipper is running at all (ignore the plasma SNI)
Code: Select all
ps ax | grep klipper

Do you recommend any future course of action? Should I pursue it with Klipper developer or Chrome developers?
See the bug I linked before - current stance is "chromium is doing weird things with complex mime data".
I'll have to get the sources and add some inspectional qDebug's before I can make an informed opinion who's to blame more here.

Has Klipper in Plasma 5 removed show clipboard history shortcut Ctrl+Alt+V?

No, but the default shortcut for the action is empty. Check "kcmshell5 keys" to configure them.

Has it also removed the ability to generate barcode?

Afaics that's a result of the chromium issue, it's even the subject of forementioned https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338769