This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kde5 missing global notification mute

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mireofthedeep
Registered Member
Sorry to necro this old thread in 2020, but wanted to chime in that the info above helped me.

> plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.18.3

I've been suffering for 2 months now:
* getting an awful bell sound thru earphones.
For example in "open file dialog" from VSCode, pressing "backspace" causes this.

I had had system sounds at 0% for a long time, but this damn bell kept killing my ears.

System sounds set here to be specific: "System Settings" > "Audio" > "Applications" > "Notification Sounds".

Fix was indeed explained in this thread above:
Bell sound is hidden in "System Settings" > "Accessibility" > "Bell":
Disabled "Use system bell" checkbox.
Abled "Use customized bell", and left the "Sound to play" empty.

Thankfully no more killer bell!
jerry-kde
Registered Member
Wow, it appears to be VERY hard to disable all notification sounds. Using Plasma 5.25.5 to see if this is something I would like but I cannot find how to disable the top 1 annoyance of every OS I have worked with.

Every tip I've seen I cannot find, as if the UI has been changed over and over again.

I am not going to disable sounds for every event on every application, there should be a global one. I hope someone can show me, otherwise I am going back to xfce. The widgets are nice in plasma but I need some more pros and fewer cons compared to xfce...