This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDED panic on module loading WAS How do I "fix metadata?"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stefanj
Registered Member
I'm a longtime Fedora / KDE / Plasma user.

I upgraded my desktop from F20 to F22. An upgrade to KDE5 came along with it.

Things worked great for a few days. On Friday morning Plasma workspace locked up on startup. There were a few apps -- Dolphin, a Konsole session -- auto-started from a previous session. These worked fine! But all of the workspace stuff -- the desktop, the panel with startup control and task manager -- were inert. The digital clock widget in the panel updated the time, but couldn't be interacted with. If I minimized an window I could see its entry in the task manager, but I couldn't restore it.

/var/log/messages contained sets of entries like the below occurring every few seconds:

Code: Select all
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "remotedirnotify" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "freespacenotifier" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "khotkeys" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "networkmanagement" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "kscreen" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "ktimezoned" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "powerdevil" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "statusnotifierwatcher" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "kmixd" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kmix: kmixd: Triggering delayed initialization
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "keyboard" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: "Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString."
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: "Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString."
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "ksysguard" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:52 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "touchpad" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:35:53 linuxgame audit: <audit-1701> auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=1 pid=8224 comm="kded5" exe="/usr/bin/kded5" sig=11
Jun  7 06:35:53 linuxgame abrt-hook-ccpp: Not saving repeating crash in '/usr/bin/kded5'

This mess repeats each time I start a plasma session. To get out of it I kill the kde start process, which returns me to the Login screen. I can start and run Gnome, no problem!

I entered a bug (348840) for the apparent kded5 crash. However, I'm hoping someone here might know how to "fix your metadata." I'm not sure where this lives. In a previous attempt to fix this I renamed ~/.kde and ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma-desktop-appletsrc; this didn't help. The same konsole and dolphin sessions started up each time, so I'm guessing there are other resources involved.

Any insights or help appreciated.

Last edited by stefanj on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
luebking

Re: How do I "fix metadata?"

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:13 pm
This are three different issues.

The "fix your metadata" messages are frindly reminders for lazy developers that if their module library is actually called "kded_something" it is not correct to refer to it as "something" in the service description (but kded gracefully resolved the plugin nevertheless) - I doubt this is causing crash or input issues.

Apparently kded instantly crashes. As it's pretty vital for the desktop, it auto-restarts.
The last thing it loads is the touchpad daemon, so likely that causes the crash.
Afaik, the touchpad daemon/configuration wasn't yet ported to KF5, so either kded is picking up modules from KDE4 or your distro screwed it. You should check the installation of "kcm-touchpad", compare it to the installation path of the "kded_" modules in plasma-workspace.
In doubt, uninstall the touchpad package - then le's see whether the plasmashell input issue remains.
stefanj
Registered Member
Thank you, leubking. That clears up a lot of possibilities.

rpm -ql plasma-workspace | grep kded shows modules in /usr/lib64/qt5/plugins and /usr/share/kservices5/kded/

Neither location has a kcm_touchpad; there is a /usr/share/kservices5/kded/touchpad.desktop entry, dated April 23. It is just text configuration stuff.

Right now there doesn't seem to be much in the way of packages mentioning "touchpad.":

[root@linuxgame abrt]# dnf search touchpad
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:11:55 ago on Sun Jun 7 15:39:34 2015.
=========================================== N/S Matched: touchpad ============================================
xorg-x11-drv-synaptics.x86_64 : Xorg X11 Synaptics touchpad input driver
luebking

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:03 pm
Hmmm ... kded says it located a kded_touchpad library.

> there is a /usr/share/kservices5/kded/touchpad.desktop
That's from kcm-touchpad. And should not be in a "kservices5" location.
I don't know dnf, but can you check which package this file belongs to (and what other files are in that package)?
stefanj
Registered Member

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:45 pm
(dnf is the successor to the yum package manager; pretty much the same command line usage)

plasma-desktop has a bunch of touchpad-related files:

[root@linuxgame abrt]# rpm -ql plasma-desktop | grep touchpad
/usr/bin/kcm-touchpad-list-devices
/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kded_touchpad.so
/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/plasma_engine_touchpad.so
/usr/share/config.kcfg/touchpad.kcfg
/usr/share/config.kcfg/touchpaddaemon.kcfg
/usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.kde.touchpad.xml
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/devices/input-touchpad.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/devices/input-touchpad.svgz
/usr/share/knotifications5/kcm_touchpad.notifyrc
/usr/share/kservices5/kcm_touchpad.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/kded/touchpad.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/plasma-applet-touchpad.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/plasma-dataengine-touchpad.desktop

(SNIP: many local/*/LC_MESSAGES files)

/usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/touchpad.svg
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/touchpad
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/touchpad/contents
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/touchpad/contents/ui
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/touchpad/contents/ui/touchpad.qml
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/touchpad/metadata.desktop
/usr/share/plasma/services/touchpad.operations
stefanj
Registered Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:10 am
Actually . . . what I really think would help at this point is a core dump of the kded process. Presumably that would show just what module is responsible.

I don't know if my system is set up for that. Some crash reports are being generated in /var/tmp/abrt, but I'd like to see a new one, generated with the current settings (after reinstalling KDE and plasma).
luebking

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:30 am
Sorry, seems I was wrong and the touchpad daemon meanwhile is ported in 5.3 (i can load and configure it)
To debug kded5, I'd probably first ensure it doesn't load the buggy module (if any) - set all entries "autoload=false" in ~/.config/kded5rc and hope that kded5 starts.

If so, you can gdb attach to it, continue and start loading modules (kcmshell5 kded) until it crashes.

To enable coredumps, "sudo ulimit -c unlimited; ulimit -c unlimited" - but this might rapidly fill your HDD (let's assume kded5 crashes @1Hz and every coredump is ~100MB ...)

You could also try to run kded5 (in gdb) from another session (gnome)
stefanj
Registered Member

Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:50 am
Thank you. I will probably have to wait for the weekend to do any in-depth debugging.

kded5rc just has one entry:

[Module-appmenu]
autoload=false

That is the only file with "autoload" in the title. This suggests that which modules are loaded is specified elsewhere.

Well, actually, I think I found where:
[root@linuxgame kded]# pwd
/usr/share/kservices5/kded
[root@linuxgame kded]#  grep autoload *
appmenu.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
baloosearchfolderupdater.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
desktopnotifier.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
freespacenotifier.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
keyboard.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
khotkeys.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
kmixd.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
kscreen.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
ksysguard.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
ktimezoned.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
networkmanagement.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
networkstatus.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
networkwatcher.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
platformstatus.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
powerdevil.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
printmanager.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
proxyscout.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
recentdocumentsnotifier.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
remotedirnotify.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
solidautoeject.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
soliduiserver.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
statusnotifierwatcher.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
touchpad.desktop:X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true

For completeness sake, this is the entire set of lines in /var/log/messages between kded5 crashes:

Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: Qt: Session management error: networkId sList argument is NULL
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: kded module "proxyscout" has already been found using JSON metadata, please don't install the now unneeded .d
esktop file ("kded/proxyscout.desktop").
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "printmanager" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "remotedirnotify" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "freespacenotifier" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "khotkeys" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "networkmanagement" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "kscreen" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "ktimezoned" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "powerdevil" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "statusnotifierwatcher" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "kmixd" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kmix: kmixd: Triggering delayed initialization
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "keyboard" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: "Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString."
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: "Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString."
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "ksysguard" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:57 linuxgame org.kde.kded5: kf5.kded: found kded module "touchpad" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
Jun  7 06:37:58 linuxgame audit: <audit-1701> auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=1 pid=9670 comm="kded5" exe="/usr/bin/kded5" sig=11
Jun  7 06:37:58 linuxgame abrt-hook-ccpp: Not saving repeating crash in '/usr/bin/kded5'
gero
Registered Member
I have exactly the same Problem. After setting the last modules loaded before the crash to autoload=false in kded5rc, the problem persisted and other modules showed up in the log before the crash.
Because of that, I don't believe that this has something to do with a broken module, but rather with a problem of kded5 that doesn't show up in the log at all.
gero
Registered Member
I narrowed down the problem, it seems to be an issue with the fedora look and feel. After changing it to Breeze, everything works fine again.
Related Fedora Bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1227051
stefanj
Registered Member
The precise module responsible is "platformstatus.desktop;" changed the bug I had filed to reflect this:

Bug 348840 - KDED5: kded5 crashes loading platformstatus.desktop; Plasma desktop locks up, apps usable (edit)

Turning off that module's autoload setting allowed me to finally switch back to KDE!

Using gnome feels like typing with mittens . . .
luebking
bimblesprocket
Registered Member
I had the same symptoms (at almost exact5ly the same time), and found the same log entries, etc. I used fedup to go from Fed21 to Fed22 a couple of weeks ago, but based on other fora I suspect this is a dependency problem hidden in an updated KF5 &/or QT package which happened recently. The previous OP has posted all relevant information/logs.

I am just posting this as an ugly work around (in case someone else finds this):

$ mv ${HOME}/.config ${HOME}/old.config

You will then need to rebuild everything in terms of customised setup, but at least the desktop now works.

Alternatively, if you then go through the old.config directory, and put things back one at a time, you should find the causal agent. For thoroughness/certainty I would reboot between each change, but I'm a pedant!

Fortunately issues like this do not happen to me very often, so it does not bother me too much.