This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma, Wayland and multi-seat

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
petri_motor
Registered Member
OS

Plasma, Wayland and multi-seat

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:54 am
Hi.
First, a short backstory.
I recently tried Plasma 5.3 and it felt buggy for me so I decided to make the switch once 5.4 comes out.
I'd also like to set-up multi-seat on my desktop, however with X.Org and only 1 video card it's hard and has many restrictions...
So I thought maybe I can have proper multi-seat with Wayland and KWin 5.4 which is said to have proper support for Wayland.

Please share your thought.
Do you think I'll be able to have multi-seat with a single video adapter, Wayland, Plasma 5.4 and SDDM?

The graphical stack is so complicated, I don't fully understand how acceleration works yet, with all the acceleration, libaries and which piece of software supports what.

I run Gentoo and have a radeon card, by the way.
luebking

Re: Plasma, Wayland and multi-seat

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:18 pm
What kind of problem do you encounter with X11 multiseats (resp. what do you believe a multiseat setup is)?
petri_motor
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 pm
luebking wrote:What kind of problem do you encounter with X11 multiseats (resp. what do you believe a multiseat setup is)?

I'd like to have 2 seats running separate sessions, each having a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Probably using different sound cards as well.
For that I need to run two X servers but I only have 1 video adapter. It has has VGA, DVI and HDMI ports (I'd like to utililize DVI and HDMI).
To run two X servers on the same card (which has a single PCI address) I need to use xephyr or xf86-video-nested driver.
With xephyr I won't have hardware acceleration and I heard resolutions should be the same. Anyway, this isn't what xephyr was invented for and it's a crippled solution (I get that impression, haven't actually tried).
xf86-video-nested probably has similar issues and it's not maintained anymore...
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
No kwin_wayland will not support such setups.
petri_motor
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:02 am
How about same thing but 2 video adapters? Still no?
Maybe I can run a virtual machine (QEMU, VirtualBox) on the second monitor with captured keyboard and mouse?
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm
petri_motor wrote:How about same thing but 2 video adapters? Still no?
Maybe I can run a virtual machine (QEMU, VirtualBox) on the second monitor with captured keyboard and mouse?

I don't have a setup with 2 gpus, so you be pretty sure that this won't be supported by 5.4. It's clearly outside the area of interest for me, so this needs others in the community to step up and work on it, if they want it.
petri_motor
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:51 pm
mgraesslin wrote:I don't have a setup with 2 gpus, so you be pretty sure that this won't be supported by 5.4. It's clearly outside the area of interest for me, so this needs others in the community to step up and work on it, if they want it.

Does that mean even simple multi-monitor workspace won't be supported (single seat)?
It's really sad then... :'(
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:30 pm
petri_motor wrote:
mgraesslin wrote:I don't have a setup with 2 gpus, so you be pretty sure that this won't be supported by 5.4. It's clearly outside the area of interest for me, so this needs others in the community to step up and work on it, if they want it.

Does that mean even simple multi-monitor workspace won't be supported (single seat)?
It's really sad then... :'(

multi-monitor will be supported in similar way as XRandR as of today. It's one scene, with one keyboard and one mouse.