This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Baloo search not working in Dolphin

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
undoIT
Registered Member
OS

Baloo search not working in Dolphin

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 pm
I recently installed Fedora 22 with KDE. Baloo is not able to find anything in Dolphin. Even if I am looking at the file I am searching for in the current directory, nothing is found. Have also tried searching with asterisks encapsulating search term and adjusting all settings. When I check:

/home/~user/.local/share/baloo/file/

I see that indexes were created. Tried deleting everything there. After restarting file search, baloo_file happily chews away at the CPU while re-indexing. However, searching in Dolphin still does not find even one result.

Image GNU/Linux user since 2007 | Keyboard Shortcuts | Coupon Code Swap
vHanda
KDE Developer
OS
Someone filed a bug about this as well. I think this is a Fedora specific issue. Since `$ baloosearch <someWord>` works fine. Fedora probably hasn't packaged the baloo4 kioslave.
undoIT
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the quick response! I just noticed that Search Folder Updater is enabled but not running and cannot be started under Background Services > Startup Services. Is this something that I can manually start / install dependencies for or do I just need to wait for Fedora to package the necessary stuff?
trintadosete
Registered Member
OS
I am having a similar problem in Kubuntu 15.04

balooctl status returns:

Code: Select all
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexed 1967 / 12345 files

But the number of indexed files never increases and the search on Dolphin is not working for content (only works for filename).

Any idea about what may be happening?
einar
Administrator
OS
FYI, if you're on a laptop and on battery, no search runs.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
trintadosete
Registered Member
OS
Thank you very much! You solved the problem :)

I am not using a notebook, but your post made me remember that I turned down the Power Management so, Ubuntu could be lost about how to behaviour power-wise.
Just turned it on and the baloo is working fine!
einar
Administrator
OS
If your issue is solved, please mark the post as solved using the "Accept this answer" checkmark. Thanks!

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
trintadosete
Registered Member
OS
I think it has to be done by the owner of the post.
jcblueman
Registered Member
You can use http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/origi ... 267661.png in the Terminal
Example:

kcmshell4 kcm_baloofileadv

In the sheet Folder you can choose Customize Folders, and must be check all box of the directory
hrvoojex
Registered Member
einar wrote:FYI, if you're on a laptop and on battery, no search runs.

How do I enable search on a laptop with a battery? I turned off 'power management' and still balloo search not working in Dolphin. Kubuntu 15.10 beta2.
duns
Registered Member
OS
I have the same (or similar) problem with PcLinuxOs plasma 5. Today the rating icons work, but the search in Dolphin with baloo does not work (non only with ratings, but in general).

Search baloo seems work only within /home/user, but in fact also there is not working :(
Any idea?
gryphonB
Registered Member
I'm still using Kub 14 LTS, because I really like the little things it does. Except for Baloo.
So, has anybody ever got this pointless waste of time to work? Don't get me wrong, I like a little time wasting now & then, but Baloo just sucks the life out of you. Considering the really fabulous job you guys do, why do you let this travesty anywhere near you?
All want is this: Something that looks for files. That will search 'hidden' if necessary. That will ignore certain folders, like my bloated network share. And That's It.
I saw complaints for Nepomuk, which I used in Kub 13. It was fine for me. It did all the above.

??? ??? ???