This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Artefacts on windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Ian_Fin
Registered Member

Artefacts on windows

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 pm
Since going from 4 to 5 (currently 5.3.2-1, but present on earlier versions) I've noticed blurry lines that appear frequently on windows, often making text and icons illegible. The lines appear on every program I've tried except for Chrome and Emacs. They've now gotten to the point that they're so disruptive that it's impossible to do anything in KDE apart from browse on Chrome.

I've tried changing some of the compositor settings to see if that has an effect, but no luck. Does anybody know what the problem might be?

A screenshot hosted on my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9f8midn1dyn6en/blurry1.png?dl=0
luebking

Re: Artefacts on windows

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 pm
Looks like a driver bug - from your description, I'd bet on glamor, but that'S hard to say from a screenshot ;-)

Please pastebin your /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere.
Ian_Fin
Registered Member

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:30 pm
Thanks for responding! Here is my Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/nn5jh9wc
luebking

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:20 am
No, is SNA.
Since it apparently happened on 4 => 5 but (shown) dolphin is very likely still the kdelibs(4) version, I wonder whether the presence of the compositor in general causes strange interaction with some clients (seems to affect Qt4 and Qt5, or at leas the window decoration)

=> Please try to suspend the compositor in total (press "SHIFT+Alt+F12" to toggle it) and check whether the issue remains.
Ian_Fin
Registered Member

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:52 am
Toggling it does change the pattern of the blurring, but it never goes entirely.
Ian_Fin
Registered Member

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:05 pm
I tried following up on this by experimenting with different desktop environments. Still experiencing the problem regardless of whether they're QT based (KDE5, LXQt) or GTK+ based (LXDE, Cinnamon). The only time I don't see them is when I'm on the login screen (SDDM).

Apparently not a KDE problem afterall... If anything, the problem is least severe with KDE.

[EDIT] Turns out it was a driver problem afterall. Reverted from SNA to UXA and the problem has gone.
luebking

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:11 pm
You might want to try Xorg.conf options
Code: Select all
Option "Tiling" "false"
Option "LinearFramebuffer" "true"