This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Crash crash crash

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sredna
Registered Member
OS

Crash crash crash

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:14 am
Am I the only one having plasma 5 (5.3.2 currently, but this has been going on for quite a while) crashing many times daily? Appears to happen when pressing ESC mostly in web browsers, but it is not possible for me to find a pattern. Anyone with similar experience?
luebking

Re: Crash crash crash

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 am
you maybe want to check the backtrace ("developer information") and either google for the crashy line (or present it for inspection)
sredna
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:48 am
It is not possible to get it, I am trown back to the shell, after which the display manager starts (the new default qt one, forgot its name)
luebking

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:01 am
Either ksmserver crashes or the X11 server.
Xorg would usually write its backtrace into /var/log/Xorg.1.log (ie. the log of the last session, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is the current one)
For ksmserver, you'd likely have to move to another virtual terminal and gdb attach to it from there.

See eg. https://community.kde.org/KWin/Debugging - you only want to debug "ksmserver" rather than "kwin_x11"