This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to remove desktop widgets that have gone offscreen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
g00ey
Registered Member
OS
When I moved a desktop widget a bug (clipping error?) made it come off-screen. When I see the 'add widget' dialogue, I can see that it is still running off-screen even after reboot.

I cannot find any 'plasmarc' file or similar in ~/kde4/share/config, it doesn't appear to be the same location as kde4. I was hoping to find a widget config file that would remove that widget by removing a few lines from the file, or at the very least changing the placement coordinates back to a visible region.
hallergard
Registered Member
OS
Do you have two displays? The widget might be on the other screen that you don't see!?
g00ey
Registered Member
OS
I only have one display, it's inside a VM, and KDE Display Properties only recognizes one screen; VGA-0.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
g00ey wrote:I cannot find any 'plasmarc' file or similar in ~/kde4/share/config, it doesn't appear to be the same location as kde4.

Plasma5's config files are in ~/.config/.

The applet configuration in particular is in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.
g00ey
Registered Member
OS
Yes, that helped, I found two instances of the widget. By removing the lines of one of them, I now have only one instance running, as desired.

There is only one problem, it is nigh impossible to tell them apart. Is there a config file with coordinate information for each desktop widget so that one can tell which one to get rid of? I sure couldn't find one in ~/.config.