This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Firefox and dialog boxes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sbelkin
Registered Member

Firefox and dialog boxes

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:04 pm
Hi community,

I use Fedora 22 and I wonder if I can use kde/plasma dialog boxes in Firefox, is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
glepore70
Registered Member

Re: Firefox and dialog boxes

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:07 pm
I think the answer used to be "yes" but is now "no". There used to be a couple of packages, one on Kde-apps.org and one in the repositories (kde-integration) that enabled this functionality, but I don't think either are around any more.

I wish KDE developers would focus on this sort of thing more - integrating other software seamlessly into the KDE environment. Although I've used KDE for over 10 years and I love it, my most used applications are Chromium, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. none of which are KDE apps, so I have to deal with the horrid file dialogs provided by those programs.
luebking

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 pm
It's a common misconception that <desktop environmet> would be required to integrate <software> - it's the other way round.
Qt/KDE applications largely integrate into eg. GNOME, because Qt detects the environment and adapts to it by invoking native tools.

Gtk+ has unfortunately never shown any interest in this, so there were some rather ugly hacks to inject wrappers into the code - rather often causing segfaults.

Chromium btw. uses the KDE dialogs (if kdialog is available)
alex-l
Registered Member
OS

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 pm
Hi, on my Kubuntu I installed firefox-plasma (http://www.netrunner-os.com/firefox-and-thunderbird-plasmified) and it use kdialog ;D
davidmar
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:23 am
It's not quite the same but there is breeze-gtk which might help integrate it a little better. You only need to install it and then check in System Setting (systemsettings5) under Application Style -> GNOME Application Style then "select a GTK2 theme" and "select a gtk3 theme". See https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze it appears to be under pretty heavy development but is working for me.