This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin shortcut in the task bar ?

Tags: plasma, shortcut plasma, shortcut plasma, shortcut
(comma "," separated)
manchette
Registered Member
OS

Dolphin shortcut in the task bar ?

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 am
Hello ;)

I'm used to have a shortcut for Dolphin at the bottom of the screen in the taskbar.
I now see an error when i click on it which says " /usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop " does not exist.
I'm using plasma5 but this used to work even after i was not using kde 4 anymore.
When i search for Dolphin from the K menu i find it and with right click i only can add it to the favorites but not to the bottom task bar.
How can i correct this ?

Thanks ;)

manchette, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
last openSUSE version : Leap 42.1... / Last Kde Plasma version : 5.0.xxx ...
fidels
Registered Member
When you have an instance of Dolphin open, simply right click on it in the taskbar and select the option to "Show A Launcher When Not Running".

It works for any program you want to create a quick shortcut in the taskbar.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
The "problem" is that dolphin 15.07.90 is KF5 based, you don't have the KDE4 version any more.
Therefore /usr/share/applications/kde4/dolphin.desktop doesn't exist obviously.
And dolphin's desktop file has been renamed from dolphin.desktop (in the KDE4 version) to org.kde.dolphin.desktop (in the KF5 version), too.

So, as mentioned, remove your old launcher and create a new one.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
Hello ;)
I did not know how to recreate a new launcher, in fact when i right click translation says "create a launcher when she is not started" which is confusing.
I added the new launcher, it seems it's now linked with the task manager.
Thank you :)

In the process it moved the deskop manager (for virtual desktops), i can't see it anymore ... ok, actually it left the bottom bar and is now on the desktop. Why can't i just drag and drop it where it was ?

I did recreate it from within the bottom bar, but then it went to the right of the bottom bar. Why is it not to the left part of it ? Are we not reading from left to right ?

Thanks ;)

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:Hello ;)
I did not know how to recreate a new launcher, in fact when i right click translation says "create a launcher when she is not started" which is confusing.
I added the new launcher, it seems it's now linked with the task manager.
Thank you :)

Another way is to use the context-menu in the application launcher (right-click on an entry and choose "Add to Panel"), or just drag an entry onto the panel.
But this will add a "normal" launcher in the panel, outside the task manager.

The "Add to Panel" option is missing in Kickoff at the moment though (dragging should work). Kicker does have it, plus an "Add as Launcher" which should add it to the task manager.

In the process it moved the deskop manager (for virtual desktops), i can't see it anymore ... ok, actually it left the bottom bar and is now on the desktop. Why can't i just drag and drop it where it was ?

You apparently dragged it out of the panel to the desktop.
You should be able to do the opposite too, i.e. drag it from the desktop to the panel again.
Works fine here.

I did recreate it from within the bottom bar, but then it went to the right of the bottom bar. Why is it not to the left part of it ? Are we not reading from left to right ?

Open the panel's toolbox (click on the icon at the extreme right of the panel) and you can move it to whereever you want.

*We* read from left to right, yes, although not all cultures do.

But that doesn't imply in any way how the widgets in the panel should be ordered. You can have your copmletely custom set of widgets anyway.

If you create a new widget in the panel by double-clicking, it is added to the right by default. If you don't want that, drag the widget from the "Add widget" dialog to the place you want it.

All of this is not new btw, this is how KDE4 worked since years... ;)
manchette
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the explanation, i'm not changing this really often actually.
The fact that i can drag and drop from the K menu and the 'add widget' menu is Great :=)

manchette
Registered Member
OS
Hello ;)

As a follow up from the above thread : Today i tried as mentioned above to adda a shortcut to the task bar, i wanted nomachine icon there. It may be because it's not from the kde family but i could not drag it to the taskbar but only add it to favorites, from there i was then able to drag a shortcut to the task bar.

Another question please : is there a specific package i need to have this application menu available ?
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasm ... shadow.png
i can't find it even though i tried with alternatives to switch between various app menus

Thanks ;)

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:As a follow up from the above thread : Today i tried as mentioned above to adda a shortcut to the task bar, i wanted nomachine icon there. It may be because it's not from the kde family but i could not drag it to the taskbar but only add it to favorites, from there i was then able to drag a shortcut to the task bar.

And which application launcher are you using now?

With Kicker it's indeed not possible to drag items out of the menu (I think it was in earlier versions, but I'm not sure), with Kickoff (the one that was in KDE4 already) it is.
OTOH, with Kicker you also should have "Add to Desktop"/"Add to Panel"/"Add as Launcher" context menu entries. I just noticed that the latter two are missing now in 5.4. though (a new bug?), they definitely were there in 5.3.2.

Those context menus are missing completely in Kickoff, that's a known "bug":
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=334722

Another question please : is there a specific package i need to have this application menu available ?
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasm ... shadow.png
i can't find it even though i tried with alternatives to switch between various app menus

It's in the package plasma5-addons. But you need Plasma 5.4.0 at least, it is new in 5.4.
einar
Administrator
OS
[context menus with "add to..." in Kicker]
wolfi323 wrote:I just noticed that the latter two are missing now in 5.4. though (a new bug?),

I'm seeing them in the latest snapshot from git master, though.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
einar wrote:[context menus with "add to..." in Kicker]
wolfi323 wrote:I just noticed that the latter two are missing now in 5.4. though (a new bug?),

I'm seeing them in the latest snapshot from git master, though.

Ok, so this seems to be a regression in 5.4.0 that has been fixed already. Good to hear! :)

And what about dragging an entry out of the menu?
I just tried in 5.3.2 and it was possible back then with Kicker as well.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
hello ;)

i'm not sure of the name of the application menus . I have 3 of them, one is called "application dashboard" , one is "lanceur d'application" (app launcher) and the last one is "menu des applications" (app menu).
I'm now using app launcher it gives 5 'columns' at the bottom : favorites, applications, computer, history, leave.
-> From what you said i understand i was using kicker, and now my guess is that this is kickoff
(here's a kickoff picture in kde 4, i have sotmehing similar in plasma 5 https://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/desktop.php )

I see that i already have plasma5-addons package installed, how do i launch it so that i have the entire screen being used as in the picture shown above ?

Thanks ;)

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:i'm not sure of the name of the application menus . I have 3 of them, one is called "application dashboard" , one is "lanceur d'application" (app launcher) and the last one is "menu des applications" (app menu).

"Application Launcher" is Kickoff, "Application Menu" is Kicker, and "Application Dashboard" is the new fullscreen menu.

I'm now using app launcher it gives 5 'columns' at the bottom : favorites, applications, computer, history, leave.
-> From what you said i understand i was using kicker, and now my guess is that this is kickoff

Yes.
So you should be able to drag'n'drop entries. So how is it not working? Are the drops not accepted?
It definitely works as described here.

But I noticed now that if I drag an entry over the task manager/switcher, Plasma crashes... :o
Is that what your problem is?

I see that i already have plasma5-addons package installed, how do i launch it so that i have the entire screen being used as in the picture shown above ?

Add "Application Dashboard" to you panel or desktop (or use "Alternatives" to switch the existing one), and click on the icon... ;)
manchette
Registered Member
OS
no plasma is not crashing it just does not move to the task manager.

On Application dashboard :
here's what i did 1st of all :
i added it on the desktop and clicked on it but it does not work, it behaves like kicker.
if i change Kickoff to App. dashboard in the bottom left corner of the screen it does not work either, it does like if it was kicker too.
wait maybe it needs a session reboot, ... nope i tried and t's still ko.

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
manchette wrote:no plasma is not crashing it just does not move to the task manager.

And can you drop it on the desktop or on other locations in the panel?
That works fine here. But I think it was broken in (some) earlier versions. Moving to the desktop was broken (in 5.3.0 IIRC) at least.

On Application dashboard :
here's what i did 1st of all :
i added it on the desktop and clicked on it but it does not work, it behaves like kicker.
if i change Kickoff to App. dashboard in the bottom left corner of the screen it does not work either, it does like if it was kicker too.
wait maybe it needs a session reboot, ... nope i tried and t's still ko.

That's strange. "Application Dashboard" is based on Kicker, but it should show a full screen interface like in the screenshot.
And that works fine here.

What Plasma version are you actually using? What plasma5-desktop and plasma5-addons package versions did you install from where?
Maybe dashboard behaves like Kicker if you actually use 5.3's Kicker instead of the one from 5.4? But that's just guessing.
manchette
Registered Member
OS
hi,

With kickoff : i chose a game (kpatience) , right click only allows to add to favorites. I was able to drag and drop to the desktop but not to the task manager, and then you are right : it made plasma crash :
"Exécutable : plasmashell PID : 1810 Signal : Segmentation fault (11) Temps : 04/09/2015 10:01:28"

About app. dashboard :
actual versions i'm using from this repo :
Code: Select all
 10 | openSUSE_13.2                 | kde_frameworks5_132                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2                       |             

Code: Select all
# zypper info plasma5-desktop
Information for package plasma5-desktop:
----------------------------------------
Repository: kde_frameworks5_132
Name: plasma5-desktop
Version: 5.4.0-103.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 12.2 MiB
Summary: The KDE Plasma Workspace Components
Description:
  This package contains the basic packages for a Plasma workspace.
openSUSE132:~ # zypper info plasma5-addons
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package plasma5-addons:
---------------------------------------
Repository: kde_frameworks5_132
Name: plasma5-addons
Version: 5.4.0-57.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE
Installed: Yes
Status: up-to-date                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Installed Size: 1.5 MiB                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Summary: Additional Plasma5 Widgets                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Description:                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  Additional plasmoids from upstream for use on the Plasma workspace.