This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New volume control applet: a few problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Soukyuu
Registered Member
OS
First, thanks for implementing a pulseaudio-based volume applet.

I don't know if it's a bug, but the sizing and positioning definitely needs some improvement: not only does the lower end look cut off, the positioning of the scrollbar is totally off. The scrollbar is also totally unneeded, if the applet was to fill the bottom part, all devices could have been displayed without one.

Personally, I'd want the applet to scale its size with the number of audio devices. Reason: scrolling down to get to the rest of the devices inevitably leads to accidentally landing on one of the volume sliders, changing volume instead. That's a huge usability issue.

There is also one thing missing compared to kmix: I now have to use pavucontrol to remap an application to another sound device. We used to be able to right click on an application icon and select move -> sound card. Now it doesn't seem possible anymore, not even from the application tab in settings.
acemoo
Registered Member
Thanks for the tip that kmix lets you move around streams by right clicking.
I just re-installed kmix and removed pavucontrol.
I did see some time ago a topic where they were discussing how to make the new volume control applet look.
I do remember there being advanced options discussed back then, wonder what happened to them.
einar
Administrator
OS
Please file bugs, or chances of these issue getting fixed will be slim.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
Changing playback device for specific streams is pretty important. Please do file that wish item!