This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dynamic multiple monitor setting / kscreen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zulan
Registered Member
Recently I have upgraded to plasma 5 on archlinux. I am using a ThinkPad x230 either on a docking station with two monitors or mobile, switching frequently. I believe the hardware does not support three monitors at once, so when on the docking station, I use only the two external monitors. So here are my issues:

1) When I detach from the docking station with the configuration that enables the two external monitors, the Laptop screen does not activate. This means I have to reconfigure the settings manually before and after undocking otherwise I get into an unusable state to the point where I had to remove ~/.local/share/kscreen in order to get any picture.

Is there any way to get to a reliable automatic screen change for docking/undocking with plasma5? With krandr(tray) this was just working fine previously.

That is my biggest concern, but I have also discovered some additional oddities:

2) On my system the kscreen (display configuration - kde control module) window is taller than the vertical resolution of the Laptop monitor (768 unfortunately). That is one of the most inconvenient windows to have a minimum vertical resolution. Maximizing the window works a little bit but destroys most of the text and controls.

3) I somehow managed to create a large "gap" between the two monitors despite them being shown directly adjacent in the configuration. I feel the "left of" etc. configuration was much more reliable.

4) When resizing the window, the disabled screen is always moving to the top right corner. That is rather confusing.

My versions:
local/kscreen 5.4.0-1 (plasma)
KDE's screen management software
local/libkscreen 5.4.0-1
KDE screen management software
luebking