This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 -> KDE5 on Debian: KNotes notes disappeared

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
iacchi
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
as some of you will know, in August Debian testing started the switching from KDE4 to KDE5. During the transition, KNotes became unusable for a period (the plasmoid was giving an error) and when the update to KDE5 was complete the note I had on my desktop wasn't there anymore. I recreated a new one, but the text on the old one (some of which was only in there...) was nowhere to be found.
Fortunately, I have a backup of my home folder taken before the problem appeared. Searching on the internet, I found that KNotes notes are saved in a .ics file in the ~/.kde/share/apps/ directory. I went to look for it, but there was no .ics file (point of fact, there was no knotes parent folder). Even now, despite the fact that I have a knotes note on the desktop, there is no knotes folder in the current ~/.kde/share/apps/ path.
My question is then: is the old note text still somewhere? And if so, where? I really need to retrieve some of it.

Thanks,
Iacopo
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
iacchi wrote:Searching on the internet, I found that KNotes notes are saved in a .ics file in the ~/.kde/share/apps/ directory. I went to look for it, but there was no .ics file (point of fact, there was no knotes parent folder).

KNotes only stored its notes in ~/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes.ics in versions up to 4.12.
With 4.13 KNotes has been ported to use Akonadi, and stores its notes in ~/.local/share/notes/ (or some subfolder thereof) by default, but this can be configured to be wherever you want.

Even now, despite the fact that I have a knotes note on the desktop, there is no knotes folder in the current ~/.kde/share/apps/ path.
My question is then: is the old note text still somewhere? And if so, where? I really need to retrieve some of it.

The notes on the desktop are completely unrelated to KNotes.

Those are stored in the plasmoid configuration in KDE4, in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.

Plasma5 stores them separately in ~/.local/share/plasma_notes/ (a single file per note).

PS: instead of ~/.kde/, your distro might also use ~/.kde4/. openSUSE does, I have no idea about Debian...
iacchi
Registered Member
OS
Thank you very much for the answer, I found them! (phew). Honestly, I thought that the plasmoid was related to KNotes, as the icon is basically the same. Anyway, all's well what ends well. Thanks again.
fklutiero
Registered Member
In Debian 9, notes are in ~/.local/share/notes/.