This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

A couple of bugs with my new Plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eXtremeDevil
Registered Member
OS
Hi, yesterday I decided to upgrade from plasma 4 to 5 and now weird things happen:

1 - The enviroment is half english and half spanish, for example, the systemsettings app, or the application menu, or the desktop icons button menu. I have locale well configured, and also the lang package.

2 - If I lock the session I can't log in back, no matter how many times I input the correct password, it always returns login failed.

Are those normal bugs?

Thanks in advance.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
I think you are using openSUSE 13.2, right?
At least that's what you mentioned in a different thread IIRC.

eXtremeDevil wrote:1 - The enviroment is half english and half spanish, for example, the systemsettings app, or the application menu, or the desktop icons button menu. I have locale well configured, and also the lang package.

Which "lang package"?
You need *all* xxx-lang packages, kde4-l10n-xx is not enough as it only contains the KDE4 translations as the name implies.
In particular install plasma5-workspace-lang, plasma5-desktop-lang, and plasma-frameworks-lang for the desktop.
And the corresponding ones for other packages.

If in doubt, please tell what exact messages are in english still.

But note, that Plasma5 in openSUSE 13.2 is mainly a "technical preview", translations don't fully work there, because of a buggy patch to read translations from non-standard locations.
You should rather install the latest Plasma5 packages (5.4.1 at the moment) from the additional KDE:Frameworks5 repo.

2 - If I lock the session I can't log in back, no matter how many times I input the correct password, it always returns login failed.

Your PAM config is probably "broken".
Check whether you have common-xxx.rpmnew packages in /etc/pam.d/ and copy them over the corresponding common-xxx-pc ones.

Are those normal bugs?

Yes and no.
The first one shouldn't happen, as those xxx-lang packages are recommended. If you turned off installation of recommended packages, it is normal though and no bug.
Those packages are only recommended, as they are not required for proper functionality.
And

The second one is only a problem if you upgraded your system from earlier openSUSE versions.
pam_unix2.so was used as default before 13.1, and with this KDE's checkpasswd doesn't get the necessary permissions.
In openSUSE's KDE4 this was workarounded by installing it as suid root (i.e. it runs as root even if started as user), but that has been declined by openSUSE's security team for Plasma5 unfortunately.
OTOH, we use pam_unix.so since 13.1, so the problem shouldn't exist on fresh (or recent) installations.
eXtremeDevil
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I'm using 13.2. And I forgot to add the framework and qt repos :-\

The language thing is now resolved, with the addition of those repos :)

About the password issue, this is my /etc/pam.d folder:

Code: Select all
atd                               common-account.rpmnew              common-password.rpmnew            groupdel      passwd     sddm-autologin  useradd
chage                             common-auth                        common-session                    groupmod      polkit-1   sddm-greeter    userdel
chfn                              common-auth.pam-config-backup      common-session.pam-config-backup  init          ppp        smtp            usermod
chpasswd                          common-auth-pc                     common-session-pc                 login         remote     sshd            xdm
chsh                              common-auth.rpmnew                 common-session.rpmnew             login.old     runuser    su              xdm-np
common-account                    common-password                    crond                             login.rpmnew  runuser-l  sudo
common-account.pam-config-backup  common-password.pam-config-backup  cups                              newusers      samba      su-l
common-account-pc                 common-password-pc                 groupadd                          other         sddm       systemd-user

But I don't understand exactly what you want me to do :( Could you be more specific? And yes, I updated from 13.1.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
eXtremeDevil wrote:But I don't understand exactly what you want me to do :(

Do this (as root) and it should work:
Code: Select all
cd /etc/pam.d
mv common-account.rpmnew common-account-pc
mv common-auth.rpmnew common-auth-pc
mv common-password.rpmnew common-password-pc
mv common-session.rpmnew common-session-pc

You might want to do the same with login.rpmnew too (i.e. move it over the file "login"), but that shouldn't affect Plasma 5's screenlocker.

And yes, I updated from 13.1.

Hm, 13.1 did use pam_unix.so already (not the old pam_unix2.so).
You probably upgraded from older versions before too, no? (not that this is a mistake...)
eXtremeDevil
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I think I started in 12.1, and I know is not a good practise to replace systems like that. But I don't use it much and is easier that way. The login works now. Just some last things:

The login screen is the same as before, is that normal or should it be some new plasma 5 one?

The loading screen after the login, can be personalized? I have a theme in tar.gz but now seems like I have no options to load it.

And why do I have kde4-systemsettings in the app manager and working? Is not installed according to zypper :S
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
eXtremeDevil wrote:Yes, I think I started in 12.1, and I know is not a good practise to replace systems like that. But I don't use it much and is easier that way.

Well, my system is upgraded since 8.1... ;)
But sometimes you should have a look at the system config files, they won't necessarily be replaced by newer versions on upgrades for good reasons.
"rcrpmconfigcheck" will tell you at which in particular.

That said, this particular issue is something we (as in "openSUSE") should fix.
There's a bug report open:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=931296

The login screen is the same as before, is that normal or should it be some new plasma 5 one?

There is no "Plasma 5 login screen".
Don't confuse the login screen with the screen locker, they are unrelated.

The login screen ("display manager", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_display_manager_(program_type) ) won't be changed if you install Plasma 5.
You can install any one you like and configure the one that should be used in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (in openSUSE, that is).
If you want the standard "Plasma 5 login screen", install the package "sddm", and set DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm" in above mentioned file.

But any other (including the old kdm) should do just as well.
It's your decision which one you want to use.

The loading screen after the login, can be personalized? I have a theme in tar.gz but now seems like I have no options to load it.

Which loading screen exactly?
Of course it can be personalized, but depending on which one you mean the way will be different.
And depending on which tar.gz you have, it might not be possible to just use that.

And why do I have kde4-systemsettings in the app manager and working? Is not installed according to zypper :S

It is part of the package "kdebase4-workspace-addons".
As you didn't uninstall it, it is still there...
You can use it to configure KDE4 things, including kdm.

systemsettings5 does write some settings for KDE4 applications too though, the theme and style in particular.
eXtremeDevil
Registered Member
OS
I mean the animation after you enter your credentials, before the desktop. In the old systemconfig I could load an external file or search others within the app but in the new systemsettings there no such options. That's what I meant.

About the other things, thanks so much for all the explanations :)
eXtremeDevil
Registered Member
OS
How can I put a custom splash screen? There's no option in systemsettings anymore like in KDE4.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
eXtremeDevil wrote:How can I put a custom splash screen? There's no option in systemsettings anymore like in KDE4.

Copy the files to the corresponding drawers, and you should be able to choose it.

For Plasma5 this would be /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ or ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/.

But this will only work if this is indeed a *Plasma5* splash screen of course.
eXtremeDevil
Registered Member
OS
OK, thanks for everything then :)