This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma desktop session just bombing out --- where to start ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mounty1
Registered Member
Hello; I'm trying to XDMCP in to KDE5 on a VM. I can do that and get a login, provided that in /etc/lightdm/lightdm-kde-greeter.conf there is theme-name=classic. So I enter username, password and choose Plasma from the login session menu. When I click the little right-pointing arrow, after about three seconds the entire session ends. I mean the X session which I started with: X vt6 -query vmname -once -listen tcp :1

$HOME/.xsession-errors is 0 length. Nothing in dmesg or xorg.log. The worst message is in /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log:
WARNING: Error activating login1 session: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Operation not supported

... but as it gives me a login + password + set session dialog, surely lightdm has gotten as far as launching KDE.

I need lightdm because sddm won't handle XDMCP.

The problem is that I am on Gentoo therefore building from source but as I don't know my way around the Plasma architecture, I don't know where to start debugging. The first thing would be whatever lightdm-kde-greeter starts up, or is supposed to start up, when it has verified the login + password. I have asked on the Gentoo forum but no response.

I mv'ed $HOME/.kde4 out of the way but apparently Plasma doesn't use that anyway.

Any ideas?
luebking
The X server crashes - likely due to the emulated GPU (driver) of the VM and likely due to OpenGL calls.
You may find backtraces of the X crash in /var/log/Xorg.*.log

Try to "export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1" somewhere in /etc/profile
mounty1
Registered Member
Thanks for the suggestion but no change. After the XDMCP login, on the VM, /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log has
[+39.62s] DEBUG: Registering session with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
[+39.63s] DEBUG: Session pid=416: Not setting XDG_VTNR
[+39.63s] DEBUG: Session pid=416: Running command lightdm-session /usr/bin/startkde
[+39.63s] DEBUG: Session pid=416: Logging to .xsession-errors
[+39.74s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session 8
[+39.74s] WARNING: Error activating login1 session: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Operation not supported
[+39.84s] DEBUG: Session pid=416: Exited with return value 0
[+39.84s] DEBUG: Seat (null): Session stopped
[+39.84s] DEBUG: Seat (null): Stopping display server, no sessions require it

and /var/log/lightdm/x-192.168.1.57-1-greeter.log (the server is on that IP address, of course) is
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:265:5: QML Plasma::FrameSvgItem_QML_18: Binding loop detected for property "width"
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:265:5: QML Plasma::FrameSvgItem_QML_18: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:215:11863: QML Component: Delegate component must be Item type.
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:123:13: QML Row: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:87:5: QML FrameSvgItem: Binding loop detected for property "width"
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:87:5: QML FrameSvgItem: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/classic/main.qml:213: Unable to assign QObject* to QDeclarativeItem*

which doesn't really give much help. $HOME/.xsession-errors is still 0 length. Clearly /usr/bin/startkde is starting but going nowhere but it doesn't seem to leave any trace in /var/log/.
mounty1
Registered Member

End of the line with this one

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:38 am
So setting up an Xnest server without authorisation controls and running DISPLAY=xnested:1 /usr/bin/startkde gives
Could not initialize GLX
startkde: Starting up...
Waiting for already running kbuildsycoca5 to finish.
Waiting for already running kbuildsycoca5 to finish.
kbuildsycoca5 running...
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-mounty'
Application::crashHandler() called with signal 11; recent crashes: 1
KCrash: Application 'kwin_x11' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/tmp/runtime-mounty/kdeinit5_pimpama_1
Service started, version: 6.2.0
2015-10-05T13:19:01 Checking update-file '/usr/share/kconf_update/konversation.upd' for new updates
kwin: unable to claim manager selection, another wm running? (try using --replace)
2015-10-05T13:19:01 Checking update-file '/usr/share/kconf_update/kscreenlocker.upd' for new updates
KCrash: Application 'krunner' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/tmp/runtime-mounty/kdeinit5_pimpama_1

** (process:15816): CRITICAL **: polkit_agent_listener_register_with_options: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)' failed

(process:15816): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

followed by a crash by krunner and the dialog:
Plasma is unable to start as it could not correctly use OpenGL 2.
Please check that your graphics drivers are set up correctly.

Looks like I need OpenGL 2. Back to the Gentoo forums with that one.