This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 - Icons-only Task Manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lbenes
Registered Member

Plasma 5 - Icons-only Task Manager

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:20 pm
Coming from Unity/Windows 7 I was a little disappointed with the default plasma 5 panel, so much that I tried to install Icon Tasks 0.9.2. So I was disapointed to discover it's incompatible with KDE 5. Before giving up and going back to Unity, I tried looking for the option to remove the text and keep the task entry at the same location as the launch entry. Instead, I found the alternative "Icons-only Task Manger". It's everything I wanted!

Former Unity, Widows 7-10, OS X users will feel much more at home with this modern widget. I've been using it for the past few weeks and am extremely happy with it.
google01103
Manager
I have it, might me in a plasma-addons package you need to install

what distro are you running?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

lbenes
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:I have it, might me in a plasma-addons package you need to install

what distro are you running?

I'm running Kubuntu 15.10. I never was able to get kde-apps.org's "Icon Tasks" to work. However, the built in " Icons-only" that's available when you right click on the panel->alternatives does exactly what I wanted. This post was just encouraging others to check it out.
Brian H.
Registered Member
Thanks for the post. Coming from Windows 10, this is a big improvement.

Is there any way to mimic the behavior of Windows 10 pinned tasks?

When a task is pinned, it is always on the task-bar as an icon. When a pinned task is opened or running, the location on the bar doesn't change, and it remains an icon without text. When a non-pinned application is running, it is shown on the task-bar as an icon with text, and the location is dependent on the order it was opened.

Basically a mix of icons only for pinned tasks, and normal behavior for non-pinned tasks.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
The icon only task manager has the exact functionality you want built in, all you have to do is check the "pin" box after a right click on the opened application icon :)

Debian testing