This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Networkmanager plasma-nm notifications hang plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
CxOrg
Registered Member
OS
With systray notifications enabled for Networkmanager in KDE Sytem Settings plasma desktop freezes with an empty popup.

The usual "sudo killall plasmashell" and "kstart plasmashell" is needed to recover.

Disabling the popup notifications for these events stops the problem. Event sounds are OK. This also affects notifications for plasma events like removing a widget.

No apparent debug in the system journal.

Any ideas?

Lenovo ideapad i7-4510U Haswell with Intel 4400 graphics, Mesa 11.0.3 driver, OpenGL 3.1, 4.2 Sabayon kernel, Plasma 4.5.2
ziyun
Registered Member
Have a similar problem. It takes a long time to log into plasma 5 and plasma-nm ends up with a unclickable blank icon.
Metcomm
Registered Member
I'm not sure if I'm "on topic" here, rather than opening a new thread .... I have a similar problem in that the Network Manager Icons never show to be connected (not swirling) until I "reboot" plasmashell (ie .... shutdown and restart plasmashell) - the popup panel also shows the connection to be disconnected even though I am perfectly on-line.

On computer startup - > https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/iaSdZWG2eTS3YNW - Eth0 is in fact connected.
After plasmashell reset - > https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/xrUFgWcuG7qXLjt

Same situation also with WiFi - maybe I'm using the wrong Network Manager widget?

Any thoughts?

Operating system Fedora Linux 22
Kernel and CPU Linux 4.2.3-200.fc22.i686+PAE on i686
einar
Administrator
OS
As far as I know, the issue is known, but it's not as simple as it looks to fix. Work is in progress.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
CxOrg
Registered Member
OS
Many updates down the line Plasma 5 is getting much more stable, we are currently at v5.16 but this problem is not being solved. I have recently run into problems with bluetooth where the notifications are needed to validate the device code. This means the code can never be verified as the notification freezes the whole of plasma desktop. So far there are 3 categories of notification which cause this freeze of alerts to do with Bluetooth, Plasma workspace and Network management.
luebking
No, 5.5 is about to be released this december. 5.16 is frameworks and that's not directly related.
(no idea though whether this is or can be fixed - i'd cut off my right arm before using NM)
CadeSkywalker
Registered Member
OS
Same problem here with Kubuntu 15.10.

In my case the problem is not grave because I only use a wired connection on my desktop, but it's a little annoying to see that empty place in notifications area.

I hope to get the fix though Kubuntu Backports PPA.