This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Only english translation after upgrade to 5.3x/5.4x

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
To be sure that there is an issue with upgrade process.... i did 4 upgrades on 4 different computers with different status of kubuntu 15.04.
and ALL have the same issue.

What i do not understand is that all available languages window/list is EMPTY. It should display all available languages whatever i chose.

so first of all, what i posted (the trace result was on my laptop).

But for example on 1 of my computer, i have no file named /etc/locale.gen :(
typing a sudo locale-gen display the following result:
Code: Select all
lain@pc0001:/etc$ sudo locale-gen
Generating locales...
  en_AG.UTF-8... done
  en_AU.UTF-8... done
  en_BW.UTF-8... done
  en_CA.UTF-8... done
  en_DK.UTF-8... done
  en_GB.UTF-8... done
  en_HK.UTF-8... done
  en_IE.UTF-8... done
  en_IN.UTF-8... done
  en_NG.UTF-8... done
  en_NZ.UTF-8... done
  en_PH.UTF-8... done
  en_SG.UTF-8... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
  en_ZA.UTF-8... done
  en_ZM.UTF-8... done
  en_ZW.UTF-8... done
  fr_BE.UTF-8... done
  fr_CA.UTF-8... done
  fr_CH.UTF-8... done
  fr_FR.UTF-8... done
  fr_LU.UTF-8... done
  sk_SK.UTF-8... up-to-date

On my laptop the symptom is the same... no /etc/locale.gen file and the sudo locale-gen have a little longer list of languages in en_, fr_, sk_ but nothing special.

Anyway on both computers there is still an empty list of available languages.

i also created manually the /etc/locale.gen file and added the locales above. without any result.
i typed "sudo apt-get install --reinstall locales" without any change :(

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
i still have the same issue on all 4 computers...starting from kubuntu 15.04 and upgrading at different stage of KDE...

Any help would be appreciated.

thx

luebking
Probably a bug, seems as if KF5 is completely untranslated (despite I can choose from any language, KF5 applications are always english)
"kcmshell4 language" allows me to select and successfully applies installed languages.

=> KF5 is probably just untranslated so far? *shrug*
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
so why KDE 5.2.2 is fully translated and not KDE 5.3.1 or 5.4.2 ?
weird isn't it ?

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
alainroger wrote:so why KDE 5.2.2 is fully translated and not KDE 5.3.1 or 5.4.2 ?
weird isn't it ?

It is fully translated here in openSUSE...
luebking
I've no personal experience on this - never used a translated system.

@Wolfi - is the "apply on next login" message in the translations kcm serious or does it mean "only for new processes"?
(for I didn't actually re-login, this isn't windows, 'kay ;-)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Basically since my 10' i use all my OS in US language even if i'm french.
But as i communicate with several people in different countries i know 4 languages and i have to write letters so i need the right language layout...
As you can understand english keyboard layout is different from french, spanish or slovak.

Moreover i manage a remote compute in Spain and Kubuntu 15.04 is installed on it with KDE 5.4.2... everything was working perfectly on this computer with default installation (from CD)... so having Kubuntu 15.04 with KDE 5.2.2 and 3 different languages. Since upgrade to KDE 5.3.1 (and next to KDE 5.4.2) all languages management is weird as i wrote before.

I was using Gnome since v2 to latest version, but i came back to my first love and KDE under ubuntu... so i do not want to reinstall my whole system and all 4 computers, especially because my mom uses the remote computer in Spain... lol

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
alainroger wrote:Basically since my 10' i use all my OS in US language even if i'm french.
But as i communicate with several people in different countries i know 4 languages and i have to write letters so i need the right language layout...
As you can understand english keyboard layout is different from french, spanish or slovak.

But the keyboard layout has nothing to do with the translation.

Moreover i manage a remote compute in Spain and Kubuntu 15.04 is installed on it with KDE 5.4.2... everything was working perfectly on this computer with default installation (from CD)... so having Kubuntu 15.04 with KDE 5.2.2 and 3 different languages. Since upgrade to KDE 5.3.1 (and next to KDE 5.4.2) all languages management is weird as i wrote before.

Must be an Ubuntu issue, or something specific to your installations then.
As I said, it works fine here, also with 5.4.2.

Do you have a file /usr/share/locale/kf5_all_languages that lists all languages? I think a language must be listed in there to be available in the KCM.

Maybe some language packages are missing?
E.g. kwin.mo is not part of kde-l10n-xx, but rather kwin5-lang here.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:@Wolfi - is the "apply on next login" message in the translations kcm serious or does it mean "only for new processes"?
(for I didn't actually re-login, this isn't windows, 'kay ;-)

Why do you ask me? ;)

But I just tried it, and the language settings indeed do *not* affect newly started applications in the currently running Plasma5 session.

AFAIK KF5 uses the standard system environment variables now, and those probably only get set/changed on login.

Btw, in KDE4 the message actually says something like this here (freely translated from german):
The change of language only affects newly started applications.
To change the language for all applications, you have to login again first.

And there, newly started applications do really use the changed language settings (KDE4 applications at least, it doesn't affect KF5 based ones, or GNOME applications for that matter).

So, all in all, I do think this message is serious.
luebking
Cause it's working for you :-P

Ok, then I have no positive information on whether changing the laguage works here - will have to re-login to try.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:Do you have a file /usr/share/locale/kf5_all_languages that lists all languages? I think a language must be listed in there to be available in the KCM.

No, that's not it either.

I had a quick look at the source code, it seems the "translations" KCM just gets a list of all translations that exist for "systemsettings" itself and displays that (there is a "TODO comment though...).
See https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=plasma-desk ... ations.cpp line 80ff.
And indeed, if I uninstall the package systemsettings5-lang, the list is empty for me as well.

I have no idea in what package the systemsettings translations are in Ubuntu though.
luebking
It relies on the LANGUAGE environment (which is apparently set with the session)
Code: Select all
LANGUAGE=de_DE.UTF-8 kwrite

gets me a (mostly) german kwrite, LANG and LC_* are overridden by the present LANGUAGE variable.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:It relies on the LANGUAGE environment (which is apparently set with the session)

Yeah, right.
It seems that's set by ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh, which is sourced by startkde and apparently generated by the KCM.

But that should not affect the list of languages in the translations KCM I think...
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:Do you have a file /usr/share/locale/kf5_all_languages that lists all languages? I think a language must be listed in there to be available in the KCM.

Maybe some language packages are missing?
E.g. kwin.mo is not part of kde-l10n-xx, but rather kwin5-lang here.

i have the file kf5_all_languages and i already checked the kwin.mo files... everything is ok

alainroger
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:It seems that's set by ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh, which is sourced by startkde and apparently generated by the KCM.

But that should not affect the list of languages in the translations KCM I think...

AFAIK kcmshell5 generate the plasma-locale-settings.sh isn't it ?