This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Only english translation after upgrade to 5.3x/5.4x

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:Must be an Ubuntu issue, or something specific to your installations then.
As I said, it works fine here, also with 5.4.2.

if it was so, why using gnome everything is ok ? and back to KDE 5.4.2 issue is back ?
when i was using kubuntu 15.04 with KDE 5.2.2 everything was ok.
issue came after upgrading to KDE 5.3.1 or for other computers after upgrading to KDE 5.4.2 ?

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
luebking
I'd assume, the list should be defined by the uncommented entries in /etc/locale.gen (while that may be too specific) - personally I'm absolutely not interested in <bunch of languages using glyphs that don't look any latin to me>

Relying on some specific catalog to be installed is a bad approach. If you got _only_ the lang pack for systemsettings installed (Arch just installs all catalogs with the application... meehh), you get a nifty list and a translation.... in systemsettings.
If you don't have systemsettings installed but i18n for everything else, you cannot select the language (this way)

Did you file a bug? (Or got a slight idea which component, probably not frameworks-i18n and plasma-desktop has no bug component...)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Unfortunately i need all languages i wrote before :9 so no other way for me to make it work.

Actually i didn't open a trouble ticket as on Ubuntu side everything works well as with another DE like gnome languages work great. so i have to open a bug file on KDE.

I have no idea what could be the component having such issue as all tests i did are ok... languages are in the /etc/locale.gen
for example on 1 computer /etc/locale.gen contains:
    en_AG.UTF-8
    en_AU.UTF-8
    en_BW.UTF-8
    en_CA.UTF-8
    en_DK.UTF-8
    en_GB.UTF-8
    en_HK.UTF-8
    en_IE.UTF-8
    en_IN.UTF-8
    en_NG.UTF-8
    en_NZ.UTF-8
    en_PH.UTF-8
    en_SG.UTF-8
    en_US.UTF-8
    en_ZA.UTF-8
    en_ZM.UTF-8
    en_ZW.UTF-8
    fr_BE.UTF-8
    fr_CA.UTF-8
    fr_CH.UTF-8
    fr_FR.UTF-8
    fr_LU.UTF-8
    sk_SK.UTF-8

but nothing appears in the list of available languages... :( and only English appears in selected languages list while i should have there EN, FR, SK at least.

luebking
The kcm somehow relies on the systemsettings i18n catalog, which does not seem to be installed on your side, but you can just bypass it by editing ~/.config/plasma-localerc

Code: Select all
[Formats]
LANG=sk_SK.UTF-8

[Translations]
LANGUAGE=sk:fr:en_US
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
alainroger wrote:
wolfi323 wrote:Must be an Ubuntu issue, or something specific to your installations then.
As I said, it works fine here, also with 5.4.2.

if it was so, why using gnome everything is ok ? and back to KDE 5.4.2 issue is back ?
when i was using kubuntu 15.04 with KDE 5.2.2 everything was ok.
issue came after upgrading to KDE 5.3.1 or for other computers after upgrading to KDE 5.4.2 ?

Ok, to explain more clearly what I meant: It must be an issue with Ubuntu's KDE/Plasma5 packages then or caused by the way you installed it.

In particular, it seems that the systemsettings translations (/usr/share/locale/xxx/LC_MESSAGES/systemsettings.mo) are missing.

Do you have them or not?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:I'd assume, the list should be defined by the uncommented entries in /etc/locale.gen (while that may be too specific) - personally I'm absolutely not interested in <bunch of languages using glyphs that don't look any latin to me>

But distributions might ship a generic one.
On my openSUSE system /etc/locale.gen does not exist at all.

Relying on some specific catalog to be installed is a bad approach. If you got _only_ the lang pack for systemsettings installed (Arch just installs all catalogs with the application... meehh), you get a nifty list and a translation.... in systemsettings.
If you don't have systemsettings installed but i18n for everything else, you cannot select the language (this way)

I agree that this is not a great "solution".

I think the main problem is that previously *all* KDE translations (also for the desktop) were in the single kde-l10n-xxx package (so the installed kde-l10n packages could determine the entries of the list), while this now only contains translations for KDE Applications, KF5 and Plasma5 come with their translations included.

I have no idea about a good way to solve this either though.
Maybe just scan which subdirectories of /usr/share/locale/ exist?

Did you file a bug?

No. I wasn't even aware of this problem until now.

(Or got a slight idea which component, probably not frameworks-i18n and plasma-desktop has no bug component...)

systemsettings/kcm_language I suppose:
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?produc ... m_language

Regarding the behavior of $LANGUAGE, I think it probably would be better if $LANG would be used as preferred language, and $LANGUAGE (or whatever) would only be used as fallback if there's no catalog available for $LANG. Not $LANGUAGE overriding $LANG completely.
Or is the use of $LANGUAGE standardized somewhere?
luebking
wolfi323 wrote:On my openSUSE system /etc/locale.gen does not exist at all.

SuSE oc. needs their own little location ;-)
Should be /etc/sysconfig/language - does "locale -a" tell you all configured languages? (And please don't say there's no locale command ;-)

wolfi323 wrote:Maybe just scan which subdirectories of /usr/share/locale/ exist?

That would for pretty much sure end up being "all languages" again.

wolfi323 wrote:Regarding the behavior of $LANGUAGE, I think it probably would be better if $LANG would be used as preferred language, and $LANGUAGE (or whatever) would only be used as fallback if there's no catalog available for $LANG. Not $LANGUAGE overriding $LANG completely.
Or is the use of $LANGUAGE standardized somewhere?

$LANGUAGE is interpreted by gettext, that won't be KDE specific behavior.
The benefit is that it (unlike $LANG) supports a colon delimited list of languages, you you may specify sk:fr:en to have slovakish over french over english strings (because you french is better than your english)

The proper solution to your approach would be
export LANG=sk
export LANGUAGE=sk:fr:en
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:
wolfi323 wrote:On my openSUSE system /etc/locale.gen does not exist at all.

SuSE oc. needs their own little location ;-)
Should be /etc/sysconfig/language

No, that is used to set the system's default locales and some other related settings.

- does "locale -a" tell you all configured languages? (And please don't say there's no locale command ;-)

No, "locale" does exist... ;-)

And yes, it seems to display a (quite long) list of all locales.
:~> locale -a               
aa_DJ
aa_DJ.utf8
aa_ER
aa_ER@saaho
aa_ET
af_ZA
af_ZA.utf8
ak_GH
am_ET
an_ES
an_ES.utf8
anp_IN

wolfi323 wrote:Maybe just scan which subdirectories of /usr/share/locale/ exist?

That would for pretty much sure end up being "all languages" again.

Probably.

$LANGUAGE is interpreted by gettext, that won't be KDE specific behavior.
The benefit is that it (unlike $LANG) supports a colon delimited list of languages, you you may specify sk:fr:en to have slovakish over french over english strings (because you french is better than your english)

Ah ok. So it should be used by non-KDE applications too (if they use gettext).
Good, I thought it was KDE specific...

And now that you posted that, I even find it in the gettext man page... ;)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
to close this topic, after upgrading KDE 5.4.2 to KDE 5.4.3 everything is back to normal, so all languages i needed are back in the available list of languages and i could add them to preferred languages list :-)