This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom hotkeys stop working after sometime

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gorilych
Registered Member
I have custom hotkeys (like CapsLock for changing keyboard layouts) and after some time they stop to work. Nothing happens when I use keyboard shortcut. It starts working again for sometime if I go to the settings and reconfigure it.

I am using Kubuntu 15.10 (KDE/QT versions 5.4.2)

Let me know what additional information I can provide.
luebking
Is it *only* the keyboard switch (it's fundamentally different from all other global shortcuts)?
gorilych
Registered Member
luebking wrote:Is it *only* the keyboard switch (it's fundamentally different from all other global shortcuts)?

Nope. It also affects other bindings I configured via System Settings > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts. I noticed, that sometimes it affects one binding and not the other.
luebking
The custom global shortcuts depend on
a) a running "ps ax | grep kglobalaccel"
b) a loaded "qdbus org.kde.kded5 /kded loadedModules | grep khotkeys"
gorilych
Registered Member
luebking wrote:The custom global shortcuts depend on
a) a running "ps ax | grep kglobalaccel"
b) a loaded "qdbus org.kde.kded5 /kded loadedModules | grep khotkeys"

This is what I have when hotkeys are working:

me@hofvarpnir:~$ ps ax | grep kglobalaccel
1409 ? Sl 0:04 /usr/bin/kglobalaccel5
4123 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto kglobalaccel
me@hofvarpnir:~$ qdbus org.kde.kded5 /kded loadedModules | grep khotkeys
khotkeys

I'll post output of these command for "non-working hotkeys" situation as soon as I met it.
gorilych
Registered Member
Output is the same when CapsLock stops working as shortcut for changing layout:

$ ps ax | grep kglobalaccel
1409 ? Sl 0:07 /usr/bin/kglobalaccel5
15728 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto kglobalaccel

$ qdbus org.kde.kded5 /kded loadedModules | grep khotkeys
khotkeys

Also, as I said, other custom hotkeys are still working. They stop working independently.

gorilych wrote:This is what I have when hotkeys are working:

me@hofvarpnir:~$ ps ax | grep kglobalaccel
1409 ? Sl 0:04 /usr/bin/kglobalaccel5
4123 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto kglobalaccel
me@hofvarpnir:~$ qdbus org.kde.kded5 /kded loadedModules | grep khotkeys
khotkeys

I'll post output of these command for "non-working hotkeys" situation as soon as I met it.
gorilych
Registered Member
This is really annoying.. Can somebody help?
luebking
What's the state when the other global shortcuts stop working?
To "help" one first needs to know what is actually broken and if it would indeed *only* be layout switcher, we'd be wasting a lot of time on investigating on the other shortcuts.
gorilych
Registered Member
luebking wrote:What's the state when the other global shortcuts stop working?
To "help" one first needs to know what is actually broken and if it would indeed *only* be layout switcher, we'd be wasting a lot of time on investigating on the other shortcuts.

Shortcuts stop working independently of each other. Process you asked are still running while shortcuts are not working. Looks like something just removes shortcut from configuration.
luebking
could it be that "all other" global shortcuts start failing once you (somehow) successfully changed the keyboard layout?
In case, try to restart "pkill kglobalaccel5; sleep 1; kgloabalaccel5 &" once this happens and see whether they work again (until you switch the layout again)

That would be https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350816, happens because Qt5 "sucks" the relevant event (no client inc. the kbd daemon is informed that the keymap changed) and mean, that we can ignore the symptom and start caring about the layout switcher.
gorilych
Registered Member
thanks, I'll try this.
gorilych
Registered Member
luebking wrote:could it be that "all other" global shortcuts start failing once you (somehow) successfully changed the keyboard layout?
In case, try to restart "pkill kglobalaccel5; sleep 1; kgloabalaccel5 &" once this happens and see whether they work again (until you switch the layout again)

That would be https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350816, happens because Qt5 "sucks" the relevant event (no client inc. the kbd daemon is informed that the keymap changed) and mean, that we can ignore the symptom and start caring about the layout switcher.

Today I again had the situation when CapsLock stopped to toggle layout. At the same time, another shortcut was still working fine (Ctrl+A to execute specific shell script).

Tried this:

me@hofvarpnir:~$ pkill kglobalaccel5; sleep 1; kglobalaccel5 &
[1] 30097

but it didn't help. Had to reapply configuration (set layout shortcut to None, then to CapsLock, then click Apply).

Any other suggestions?
luebking
As mentioned several times before, kglobalacceld has *no* releation to the keyboard layout changer.
The restart only impacts if the other global shortcuts should start to fail.
gorilych
Registered Member
luebking wrote:As mentioned several times before, kglobalacceld has *no* releation to the keyboard layout changer.
The restart only impacts if the other global shortcuts should start to fail.

Got it. So I should try to restart kglobalaccel5 in case if Ctrl+A stops working. But what do I do with CapsLock then?
gorilych
Registered Member
gorilych wrote: But what do I do with CapsLock then?

This is happening 5-10 times a day... Please advice.