This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Krunner grief

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sredna
Registered Member
OS

Krunner grief

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:58 am
I run plasma 5 with resonable performance, except for krunner, which is slow to a point where it has become unusable. With kde 4, there was always immediate results of typing into krunner, with plasma 5 results may come after waiting for 30 seconds. I filed a burg report about it, but noone took time to answer it. Anyone else having problems with krunner in plasma 5?

The bug report is here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352785
google01103
Manager

Re: Krunner grief

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:10 pm
is this with all krunner functionality or specific ones?

try reinstalling plasma-workspace

run
Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental  2> /dev/null

if you kill krunner (kquitapp krunner) and then start it in Konsole they' be a bunch of messages when it loads, after it loads and you enter something are there new messages that may indicate your issue?

during that 30 seconds or so does ksysguard show excess cpu or i/o usage?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

sredna
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:44 am
This is with the basic functionality: I start typing, and it freezes, or nothing happens for a long, long time. Plasma 5 is reinstalled with each update, archlinux fully up to date. This problem has been persistent for the lifetime of plasma 5. I suspect either something is blocking dbus, or some memory used by krunner is swapped out.
Just now, it worked for starting konqueror, but next for starting korganizer, it was dead.
I have almost switched to using yaquake as my main launcher, but it is not nearly as nice as a working krunner.
einar
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:07 pm
Can you disable all runner plugins, then try each one separately until you get the freeze?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:58 pm
I have exactly the same problem. When I begin to type in Krunner, it takes a really long time to show me results. I just know what's happening, but no why. Do this steps:

- Launch the "System activity" window before launch Krunner (Ctrl-Esc) and add the column disk I/O read ("I/O Read") and order the list by "I/O read" column
- Launch KRunner and proceed as always to look something in the Krunner window.

In my case, KRunner is on top of the I/O reads, taking about 3.250K/s >:( for the time Krunner is "hanged". So, in my case, Krunner is taking a lot of time on reading something from hard disk. This only happen first time I search for something in Krunner, so maybe is a bad Baloo optimization.