This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Keyboard Layout indicator missing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dotancohen
Registered Member
OS

Keyboard Layout indicator missing

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Though I had the Keyboard Layout indicator in Plasma 5 for a day or two, it has now disappeared. It does not even show when all the Categories are selected. See the screenshot of the System Tray options:

This is on a fresh install of Kubuntu 5.10 with Plasma 5, and a clean ~/.kde directory.

dotancohen, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Rog131
Registered Member
dotancohen wrote:Though I had the Keyboard Layout indicator in Plasma 5 for a day or two, it has now disappeared.
This is on a fresh install of Kubuntu 5.10 with Plasma 5, and a clean ~/.kde directory.

What about the KDE System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts tab
or
Code: Select all
kcmshell5 keyboard

Keyboard layout selector status in the plasma-addons is 'In progress' - https://todo.kde.org/?controller=task&a ... ask_id=329
Keyboard layout selector

Created on August 19, 2014 at 13:36 PM
Last modified on September 12, 2014 at 14:51 PM
Created by David Edmundson
Assigned to Martin Yrjölä
Column on the board: In Progress (Plasma Addons)
Task position: 6
Status is open

Description
This used to be part of keyboard switcher kcm in kde-runtime.

I want to add an applet, make it dbus activated then kill the systray icon in the current daemon.

About ~/.kde directory

The plasma5 and all KF5 applications are following the http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi ... atest.html

Configuration files are at:
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should be used

Cache:
$XDG_CACHE_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific non-essential data files should be stored. If $XDG_CACHE_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.cache should be used.

Data:
$XDG_DATA_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific data files should be stored. If $XDG_DATA_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.local/share should be used.

'Old' KDE4 applications are saving to the ~/.kde or ~/.kde4, depending distribution.
dotancohen
Registered Member
OS

Re: Keyboard Layout indicator missing

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:20 am
Thank you, but it does seem that System Settings is configured properly:

Rog131
Registered Member
Are the shortcuts working ?
It not, maybe this is related to the viewtopic.php?f=289&t=128945
dotancohen
Registered Member
OS
Rog131 wrote:Are the shortcuts working ?
It not, maybe this is related to the viewtopic.php?f=289&t=128945

Yes, the switch-keyboard layout shortcuts work. Only the indicator is missing.

golosio
Registered Member
I had the same problem in kde 4 and I solved it by adding the layout indicator as a widget:
Right click the panel -> Add widget -> search for "layout" -> select "Keyboard Layout"
I do not know if the procedure is different in Plasma 5