This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Grafical issues since upgrade to kubuntu 15.10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hubertk
Registered Member
Since Upgrade from kubuntu 15:04 to kubuntu 15.10 i have stability issue with grafical presentation. Apps like krdc's bookmarklist is completely blurry, Libreoffice Open-Dialogue same problem, keepassx Menues disappears. Okular behaves elso bad.
Closing all apps, the compositing continues to work correctly for a short period.
Other apps like Dolphin,Chrome,Firefox don't have any presentation problem.
My graficcard is intel
Same issues disabling compositor
luebking
Can you provide a screenshot of the problem?

Try to "downgrade" the drivers acceleration "glamor -> sna -> uxa", see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... SNA_issues
hubertk
Registered Member
Ok here some screenshot

I changed from sna to uxa and just a moment the system seemed more stable but it was only a glimpse. The problem persists.
I opened a shell and launched a program like keepassx and then appears a message:
"X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
Resource id: 0x0"

Found a post where it seems is related to openjdk 7, in fact the open dialogue from libreoffice probably takes java, probably also keepassx,also bacula Console, but krdc? I don't think has something to do with java.
Will try to find it out, i let you now
hubertk
Registered Member
;D Yes managed to work gracefully now, thankfully because i'm in production environment and had lost to many time
Steps:
disinstalled openjdk7
Downloaded Oracle Jre 1.8, untar to /usr/lib
sudo update-alternatives --config java ... to make Oracle jre 1.8 the default

8) Sun is shining again
luebking
I don't see krdc relying on java, but if you're using the native graphicssystem and java screwed the glyph cache, this could have impacted other applications (using the same fonts)

Try to revert to sna (unless you get issues) - it's faster.
mkyral
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
I have the same problem on Gentoo with KDE5, icedTea7 and JOSM (OpenStreetMap Java editor).
Each time, when I start JOSM, not ported KDE4 applications (gwenview, konqueror, amarok...) looks exactly same as on screenshots above. It does not affect KDE5 apps like plasmashell, konsole, kate and gtk applications - firefox, thunderbird and gimp.

But I also noticed issues with sound. No sound in FF and Amarok. And as soon as I close JOSM, all returns to normal.

I just found this post, so I need to test oracleJDK, but I want keep icedTea, so I'm very curious, what is the exact issue. Is there any bug in bugzilla regarding this?

mkyral, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
luebking
No idea, but sounds like a conflict between openjdk and gstreamer.
Can you playback w/ mplayer, vlc or aplay (the ALSA player)?
Maybe the problem only manifests on pulseaudio?
mkyral
Registered Member
OS
Yes, it looks like this kind of issue. I don't use PA, just alsa with dmix configured. Strange is, that I don't see java process blocking sound card. Also I don't see dmix in systemsettings panel - but mixing sound from Amarok and Firefox works.

Situation is:
I start FF, and some video on YouTube. Sound works.
Start JOSM - sound in FF still works.
Video on YouTube finish and next one is started - but without sound now. Also no sound in systemsettings and in mplayer.
I close JOSM and restart FF - sound again works.

But It is on my second computer that I have no access just now, so I can't provide details now.

And to be honest, the graphics issue is more critical for me. Will try install OracleJDK tomorrow.

mkyral, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.