This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasmashell taking an age to start - how to debug

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
plw
Registered Member
I see plasmashell taking an age to start. I realise that I'm not providing enough information, so this is a request for advice in how to collect more information rather than a diagnosis. Thanks in advance!

The problem
I have two desktops with very different histories and hardware, both exhibiting what is apparently the same problem. However, I have just upgraded from kubuntu 5.04 to 5.10 (on both machines, both of which were previously on earlier versions, one back to 14.04 and the other to about 12.X). Now that I have upgraded, I see the following new problem.

- When I log in KDE, it's a little slow, but then KDE starts and I have my windows from the last session. That's all good (though quite slow on one machine thanks I think to disk access speed).

- However, after KDE come up, the panel does not appear for a very long time - sometimes over 60 seconds and always over 30 seconds. When it appears, all is well (and perf is fine), but that 60 seconds is replacing negligible time (couple of seconds) in Kubuntu 5.04.

OK, so something is horribly slow. top / iostat / iotop appear to show that there is no CPU in use, no iowait, and no disk access for much of the time (there's a couple of seconds of busyness from plasmashell early on, but that's it). I have tons of RAM and there's no swapping going on.

What I would like
I'm open to being told what the problem is and / or how to fix it. But really I would like to understand how to get plasma (and for that matter KDE) to log out what they are doing as they do it, so I can do some more narrowing down of the problem. Is there some way of getting such logs? Yes, there's probably a sticky article somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so feel free to point me at such a thing.
Rog131
Registered Member
Maybe the bluetooth problem with the Kubuntu 15.10 ? : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... fter-login
plw
Registered Member
Bingo, that fixed it. Actually, it wasn't Bluetooth (I had already tried disabling that), but network manager, which is also mentioned in that thread. Thank you very much!