This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 newbie

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
maritimesbob
Registered Member

Plasma 5 newbie

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 pm
Hello all,

Absolutely love the Plasma 5 desktop, the flat look, all the features. I've found it a little buggy at times on various distros. However as it's a huge upgrade of a desktop I can live with that while it's early days.

I'm quite a novice with Linux, although I have tinkered with various distros over the years, I do like Ubuntu based releases.

That being said, many on here have no doubt used Plasma 5 for quite some time. I would like to advice on the most stable distro for Plasma 5 or comes with Plasma 5 in your opinions?

I did quite like Manjaro KDE, but had an awful time trying to get my Pixma printer working. I gave up in the end and went back to Mint Cinnamon for the time being.

I've usually Ubuntu distros play nice with printers and other required drivers, Manjaro is Arch based?

Anyway, would love some feedback on a solid distro for Plasma 5.

Thank you.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma 5 newbie

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:39 am
"Most stable" and "uses plasma 5' are for some two things that don't go together, lol, at least right now.

For KDE, having the most current versions of Plasma, Frameworks and Applications is usually what makes the desktop software more stable.
In my own brief experiences with other distros, all the Plasma 5 implementations feel about the same when using the same versions of the software.

What is defined as "stable" is different from user to user, but as you are more familiar with Ubuntu based distros, I would say it is a no-brainer to go with Kubuntu - I am heavily biased, though >:D . I have had minimal problems with 15.10 with the kubuntu-backports ppa, but I also found Opensuse Tumbleweed and manjaro to be pretty good as well.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: Plasma 5 newbie

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:15 am
Go with claydoh's recommendation! In him you also have a superb source of distro specific top tips on www.kubuntuforums.net ;)

Debian testing