This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma 5 crashed, giving DBus error

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Plasma 5 crashed, giving DBus error

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:32 pm
I have an HDMI cable going from my computer to my TV. I was messing around with plugs today and unplugged my TV while my computer was on and a video was playing. Plasma crashed and left me with a black screen. I tried rebooting, but nothing changed...just a black screen. When I try to kill plasma with 'kquitapp plasmashell', I get the following:
Code: Select all
$ kquitapp plasmashell
kquitapp(2949): "Quitting application plasmashell failed. Error reported was:

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply : Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

Any ideas?
luebking
The message means that plasmashell isn't running at all (and kquitapp doesn't exactly kill it either)

check
ps ax | grep plasmashell
whatthefunk
Registered Member
$ ps ax | grep plasmashell
 2411 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/plasmashell --shut-up
 2877 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto plasmashell
luebking
Is running - if you get that message under this condition, check whether the session dbus is accessible at all, simply run "qdbus" (should immediately print a list of services)
whatthefunk
Registered Member
I got it working. I moved .config/plasma to a backup folder and it automatically rebuilt itself.
~$ mkdir -p plasma
~$ mv .config/plasma* plasma/

Thanks for your input luebking.